How to get rid of snails in shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
bud29
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)

How to get rid of snails in shrimp tank?

Hi all,

I recently have discovered tiny little snails in my newly set up 10 gallon fire red shrimp tank. Since they are so tiny, I cannot exactly determine what kind of snails they are, but my my best guess would be ramshorn. My question is, how do I get rid of them without hurting the shrimp? So far every time I have seen one I have just reached in to the tank and crushed it with my fingers. However, since they can asexually reproduce, I don't know if this method will be very effective. My only hope would be crushing them before they are able reproduce. Thoughts? I really want to get rid of them as I have heard they eat plants.
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Ramshorn Snails require a mate to reproduce.

They do not eat plants. They're beneficial for your tank in that they clean up uneaten food and algae.

The best way to control them is not to overfeed. If you want to get rid of them, remove them as you see them or put a large piece of food near the front of the tank and remove them as they move to the food.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Ramshorn Snails require a mate to reproduce.

They do not eat plants. They're beneficial for your tank in that they clean up uneaten food and algae.

The best way to control them is not to overfeed. If you want to get rid of them, remove them as you see them or put a large piece of food near the front of the tank and remove them as they move to the food.

Totally agree. Why does it some no one has the love for snails. LOL Is is because your trying to go for a certain look? I'm happy when I see snails. They keep the tank clean.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

I like algae on the glass for my shrimp, and the snails as you said "keep the tank clean." So, I prefer to have snail only tanks when I have them.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
queball753
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a snail problem in my tank a few months back. I got an assasin snail. They eat other snails and are fun to watch in the tank because they are active.
queball753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

I have 2 assassin snails in my shrimp only tank. No more snails. I have never seen them go after a shrimp unless it was already gone.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote