ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #151
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wow....where did you get that carpet from? Come on dude you know you bought it in one piece. Lol.....

Looks great though. I like it a lot. What kjnd ofgrass is that?

I just bought 9 amano (Japonica) shrimps. I hope they do their work now and not die. I was told I was feeding my fish to much and that is why the amanos were not doing their job properly. So now I feed my fish every other day in small amounts. Wish me luck... I cut all my plants down

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy NoteŽ II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #152
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
I'd say it's a dramatic improvement in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Dramatic to say the least. It looks awesome my dude! :thumbup:

Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #153
discusplantedtanklover
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice tank and cost alot of $ to run it, its gorgeous tank.
discusplantedtanklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #154
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Thumbs up Fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Wow....where did you get that carpet from? Come on dude you know you bought it in one piece. Lol.....

Looks great though. I like it a lot. What kjnd ofgrass is that?

I just bought 9 amano (Japonica) shrimps. I hope they do their work now and not die. I was told I was feeding my fish to much and that is why the amanos were not doing their job properly. So now I feed my fish every other day in small amounts. Wish me luck... I cut all my plants down

Ha! I wish that I could have bought it in one piece, lol. I'm using lileopsis mauritiana and it seems that after about two months it's finally taking off like crazy. Up until now, I haven't noticed any real pearling action, but these days I wake up and the lights turn on and I see all these little bubbles of O2 coming from the foreground and I'm like "awww yeah", lol! Yeah, I think an every other day feeding schedule is probably a good idea. Too much increases the ammonia and nitrites and even a heavy Amano population can't handle it all.

Quote:
Dramatic to say the least. It looks awesome my dude! :thumbup:

Thanks! In my original reply here, I didn't mention it, but in retrospect I think that I probably should. Even this version of lileopsis is no easy plant to grow, when one defines "ease" as fast growing, low lighting demands, little maintenance, etc. While I have noticed that the mauritiana behaves in much the same was as the brasilensis, it's thinner leaf structure is a compromise. Both versions are troublesome and not for novice aquarists, IMHO. Why do I say this? Because both require a massive amount of patience. If you look at the beginning of this journal, I used around 12 pots, each divided in 3 to achieve a minimal checkerboard pattern and despite that, I still didn't see ANY growth via runners until after...what, 2 months now? And that's with me fussing with trying to achieve optimal conditions with lighting intensity versus algae growth and adequate fertz scheduling. The upside with mauritiana as you can see is that it grows faster (I'd estimate by a month or so) than the brasilensis, unfortunately it comes at the cost of a thinner carpet. Not as thin as dwarf hairgrass but certainly not as thick as the brasilensis, which unfortunately will take 3 months (maybe more) to get really going. It is a trade off, but either way for most of us, who like to see the evolution of our planted aquatic world happen before our eyes, the patience factor is one thing that I think will dissuade many novice hobbyists from pursuing this type of carpet and opt for Glosso or HC which provide much more observable growth and thus reward for their efforts. My $0.02 worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusplantedtanklover View Post
Very nice tank and cost alot of $ to run it, its gorgeous tank.
Well it doesn't cost a lot to keep it going really. CO2, tap water and liquid fertz are all I use to keep things healthy, but the set up costs are a real b*tch (to put it lightly). Thanks for the compliment though, hehehe.

Unfortunately my crazy yoyo loach got himself caught in the MP10 and died. I'm going to have to get a few more because my snail population has started to take off and I need to keep that in check. And though you probably can't tell I actually DID do a small trim on the needle leaf Java fern.

Last edited by styxx; 11-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Update
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #155
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

why use liquid fertz? i started mixing my own dry fertz a few years back, and love it. its cheaper, and easier to dose. i set it up so that i only need to dose from 1 bottle every day (one for micros, one for macros) and so that 1 full syringe is the dose, instead of trying to measure out .78mL.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #156
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
why use liquid fertz? i started mixing my own dry fertz a few years back, and love it. its cheaper, and easier to dose. i set it up so that i only need to dose from 1 bottle every day (one for micros, one for macros) and so that 1 full syringe is the dose, instead of trying to measure out .78mL.
I use the liquid fertz because I don't have the time to be mixing things together. I'd rather just squirt it and be done with it. As a university instructor, much of my time is devoted to teaching, grading, meeting with students, conducting research, conference travel, committee meetings, etc. so when I'm at home I really just want to make my aquarium maintenance as minimal as humanly possible. At one point in the beginning many years ago I bought an insane number of ottos just so I didn't have to clean the glass and wound up having to buy so much zucchini that I decided to take half back! LMAO. Of course some people find great satisfaction in exercising more control over the components, but I opt for the ready to use, point and click...er...squirt variety. I even have given serious thought to getting my aquarium drilled for bulkheads so that I can eliminate the lily pipes but given the exorbidant costs of my ADA aquariums, I've sacrificed with the glass pipes (for the time being) lol. One of these days...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #157
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't drill don't drill!!!!

Looking good! That carpet is looking awesome! I think the mauritiana is the right scale for your tank. The brasiliensis is a little heavy. Looks like we are both finally hitting our stride eh?
theblondskeleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #158
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

No drilling allowed..... At least not the tank
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #159
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

carpet looking good, bet it looks cool in motion with that powerhead blowin over it
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #160
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

Wow I never even heard of that plant before until now or maybe there's another name for the plant. My grass is called Belem and it was suppose to turn out like your but failed to do so for some reason. Now you have me looking at your grass and now you have me thinking about spending more money for this type of grass and to pull mine out since that is the look I was going for but never came about.

I like when I see the grass have the bubbles from the CO 2 which is also called pearling. My plants use the Pearl like that also but I don't know for some reason it stopped. I had to cut down my grass a lot because of all the ugly hair algae growing on top so that's why my tank is the way it looks now everything got cut. I think that the reason why all of the hair algae grew on my plants is because I was not maintaining my tank properly and I was over feeding my fish so now I have to stop doing that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #161
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I use the liquid fertz because I don't have the time to be mixing things together. I'd rather just squirt it and be done with it. As a university instructor, much of my time is devoted to teaching, grading, meeting with students, conducting research, conference travel, committee meetings, etc. so when I'm at home I really just want to make my aquarium maintenance as minimal as humanly possible.
I second the squirt and go method. No time for the mixing thing, unless I really needed to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #162
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I mix my own into liquids that I dose everyday. It only takes 5 minutes to mix a couple of litters
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #163
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Uptown: if your plants stopped pearling and then a short while later you got algae, the algae is the result of a CO2 issue (like most algae usually is). increase your CO2 and/or decrease your light.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #164
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I second the squirt and go method. No time for the mixing thing, unless I really needed to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Exactly, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
Uptown: if your plants stopped pearling and then a short while later you got algae, the algae is the result of a CO2 issue (like most algae usually is). increase your CO2 and/or decrease your light.
Well I'll be damned if the CO2 didn't JUST run out! I literally was checking the aquarium and the CO2 earlier and about an hour to an hour and a half ago, I noticed that there were no microbubbles in the water and I checked the bubble counter on the regulator and sure enough - nothing was happening. Then I see the dial at zero...ugh. Either I need to reduce my CO2 saturation, get a larger CO2 tank or the people I'm getting it from are screwing me over. SMH
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #165
OG_Plantmore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Well I'll be damned if the CO2 didn't JUST run out!
And right before a 4 day weekend. You've got my luck.

Interesting tank by the way.
OG_Plantmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000