Opae Ula sexual dimorphism? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Okay, so micro-lobsters have their reproductive organs behind their eyes, not where shrimp have them, what we thought were ovaries is a poop chute, that's good to hear.

At least now you know that the reproductive organs are behind their eyes, a good place to try to check with a flashlight and magnifying glass.

Eggs would be a tell-tale sign.

Did you ask them what differences they did notice between males and females? It only says that they had trouble distinguishing between them, and doesn't go on to reveal the differences they did notice.

The claws on the males and females are VERY distinguishable, they're not the same in both sexes. Check out a group picture of Opae Ula and you'll see different claws, and stated before the tip and underside of the tail is different also.

We can't check the swimmerets without harming the shrimp, so that method rules out.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Did not ask. I was not going to put the shrimp under a microscope. Second problem is like Rob I have too many shrimp to distinguish one from another. Maybe with only 10 shrimp in a small tank you could. You could separate the females with eggs and observe them over time. But I read somewhere that they may only breed once or a couple times a year. I do not have this type of commitment.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Thanks for that, Ken! Hi again AVN!

I've noticed that all of my Opae Ula have the dark area behind their heads. It's color a bit variable depending on what they've been eating, just like what I see in my ghost shrimp, (only its even more obvious in them). I did assume that it had nothing to do with gender/developing eggs like what I see in my Cherries.

It does seem to me that the best way to sex the shrimp in question is by claw type, and think it strange that it wasn't mentioned in your emails, Ken. Perhaps you can email them back and directly ask about the claws?

I'm guessing you've noticed the different claw types...

Thanks again guys!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

I have noticed, BTW, that the shrimp with the larger claws (pinchers?) also have larger carapaces. (head end).

I've been googling again and found a related species, also native to Hawaii. It's name is Halocaridina palahemo. No mention of larger claws in either sex.

All a bit puzzling to me!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
KenP
Planted Member

Rob I will ask.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Thanks Ken.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
KenP
Planted Member

I do not believe H.palahemo is a legitimate species name. I think it is synonymous with rubra. You should check out the Petshrimp.com species page. It has a female with eggs and large 'claws'. I think the difference in the claw size may be due to damaged and replaced claws.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #23
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

The only photo that I found at PetShrimp didn't show the "claws" very well, certainly not as well as my lame pics earlier in this thread.

In the larger of the two versions of these shrimp in my tank the "claws" resemble more those of a scorpion, vs what you'd see on our typical freshwater shrimp, which the other type pic shows. Their are lots of both versions of claw type in my tank, all from the same source.