Prosperpinaca Palustris - Mermaid Weed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
bikercarl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Prosperpinaca Palustris - Mermaid Weed

Aloha!

I saw a picture of this cool looking plant and wanted to know if anybody here in Hawaii (preferably O'ahu) had any experience with them that they wanted to share and possibly have a few stems for sale!

Mahalo in advance for sharing!
BikerCarl

Here's the pic that Planted Tank has.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...naca_palustris
bikercarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha All!

Anybody? I am fascinated by this plant and hope that someone here in Honolulu might have some that they might be willing to sell and/or share information about growing.

Mahalo in advance for your kokua in these regards!
BikerCarl
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
iscerus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you tried calling Aquascapes? Memory is a little fuzzy, but that (or something similar) was either in their top or middle display tank in the back of the store...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Crispino has some for sale right now. He is a great seller with very nice weeds. I have some of this and it's a great plant. Good luck on your search.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha iscerus,

Mahalo for the tip! Jojo and Rina are always patient and helpful when I ask them my questions. I will inquire with them as well. I don't recall seeing it in the back display tanks (btw, they just got in a large shipment of stem plants last week), but next time I swing by, I'll be sure to check it out!

Mahalo!
BikerCarl
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha antbug,

How are you growing your palustris? How are the leaves coming out? I've seen pics with two different types of leaves. I was wondering how to get them to grow the thin spikey leaves instead of the serrated broad leaf type. Mahalo (Thanks in Hawaiian) in advance for your insight in these regards!

BikerCarl
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
iscerus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

BikerCarl,

Not a problem. Remember that they're taking a vacation starting Friday. I really spend too much time at Aquascapes. I finally got my 20 lb CO2 filled the other day, so I might start ramping up more tanks.

I know that Ram breeding tank would appreciate some added carbon dioxide. That male is really too active, had to take him out (again). I think he believes he's a rabbit. The female will have none of it.

iscerus
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha iscerus!

Thanks for the heads up. I do recall hearing Jojo saying something about that the other day when I went in to pick up some stems. Glad to hear that you got your 20 lbd cylinder filled. Sounds like you're ready to go!

Best of luck with the Ram breeding tank. If you've sexed them already, pull the male while you bring the female(s) into season. Feed them plenty of high protein stuffs and when they're nice and fat, re-introduce the male. Although I've not bred the rams before, I used this tactic on a lot of other types and it's worked pretty good for me. I hope that this helps!

BikerCarl
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
antbug
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikercarl View Post
Aloha antbug,

How are you growing your palustris? How are the leaves coming out? I've seen pics with two different types of leaves. I was wondering how to get them to grow the thin spikey leaves instead of the serrated broad leaf type. Mahalo (Thanks in Hawaiian) in advance for your insight in these regards!

BikerCarl

From what I've seen in my tank, the more light you provide to the plant, the broader the leaves. Before I upgraded my light, all I got was the thin leaves. I much prefer the broad look. The thin looks a lot like myrio mato.

Did you find any?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha antbug!

Thanks for the information. I managed to get my hands on a couple stems from Crispino and had noticed that some were broad leaf while some were thin leaf. He indicated that they were from the same tank. I was trying to figure out how to grow them with the thinner leaf. Of course, I was also looking for that nice copper color as a break from the green in the tank as well.

I'll have to look into the myrio mato as you had mentioned.

Mahalo (Thanks in Hawaiian) and Merry Turkey Day to you and yours!
BikerCarl
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
antbug
Wannabe Guru

There is a reddish myrio mato too. Ask crispino about the thinner leaves. Maybe OVT will chime in. He grows this weed nice too.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha antbug,

Wow! Thanks for the great info! I'll be sure to ask Crispino about that as well! I'm waiting a little to let the stems establish before doing a trim and re-plant. Hopefully, I'll be able to grow it the way I want it!

Mahalo (Thanks in Hawaiian)!
BikerCarl
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
bikercarl
Algae Grower

Aloha All,

Just thought I would give a little update. The planted and are growing. I'll have to admit, they don't quite have the thinner spikey leaves that I was looking for but they still do make a nice addition to the tank. I'm thinking that I might top them in the next couple of weeks and re-plant them to see how they turn out. Will keep you posted if anyone's interested.