Display tanks from work.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Display tanks from work.

I work at a non-chain pet store in Florida. We had a crappy old Fluval Chi on display that had an algae infested ornament, some sick mollies and one very unfortunate Pleco. I offered to fix it up and well, no good deed goes unpunished. My boss wanted more tanks! I'm happy to take any suggestions on how to make these better!

This is my "Iwagumi inspired" Marina 360. The only plants in there right now is a marimo ball. I just haven't been able to get a hold of any low-light plants that stay within the scale I want. Things are further complicated by the fact that we don't carry any planting substrates, although I'm hoping to change that. It's stocked with a group of black bar endlers.

The Fluval V was impossible to get a decent shot of with my phone. The only place to put up our Christmas tree this year was right in front of my tanks. But I'm very happy with this tank! The Ludwigia is doing really, really well and the Crypt (not sure what kind) is also doing alright. It's stocked with two honey gouramis, 2 pristella tetras and 3 Amano shrimp. I would like to remove at least one of the gouramis I think the tank is to small for them but I was vetoed on that one. I think I'll probably just go ahead and do it anyway and replace the Pristellas with Neons or Cardinals if we can get in healthy ones.

This one is my favorite! It is a Tetra Waterfall Globe. It is stocked with about a dozen RCS, two of my male PFR culls (since the distributor only sends us females) and one Orange Neo. I know they'll make ugly offspring but having that burst of orange really makes the tank look less empty to customers since there aren't any fish in it. My co-workers are super excited about the berried female in there!

That Anubias is incredible! It looks kind of ratty but that's because it was left out of water overnight! It was in one of our sale tanks and it was forgotten after a water change. All of the leaves melted off, but I put it in this bowl and after about a week of pruning and fertilizer it popped out a new leaf! I love that thing!
Supernaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
paybackranch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I am hoping that your boss is open to the world of planted tanks as that is a whole 'nother world of profit / sales! Plant substrates, more specialized lighting, plant fertilizers, driftwood, stones, nano fish, etc...... Kudos to you on getting such a great start in your store. The Anubias will survive with that lighting and perhaps some mosses. I am sure that you will create lots of interest from your customers and that will help drive sales. :-)

Melanie
paybackranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by paybackranch View Post
I am hoping that your boss is open to the world of planted tanks as that is a whole 'nother world of profit / sales! Plant substrates, more specialized lighting, plant fertilizers, driftwood, stones, nano fish, etc...... Kudos to you on getting such a great start in your store. The Anubias will survive with that lighting and perhaps some mosses. I am sure that you will create lots of interest from your customers and that will help drive sales. :-)

Melanie
I am lucky that these tanks also get some sunlight due to the huge front windows we have on the store. I'm hoping the crypt in the bowl will do alright, I wanted something in there on the bottom other than just the sand. We do regular orders from Hagen so I've placed an order for a Spec III for myself (to replace the Ebi that I hate) and some plant stratum. I'm hoping that will get my boss' interest. She also wants me to re-do our 60 gallon hex that's back by our fish area. I'll have to use plant substrate for that (which means we'll have to carry it because we can't display something we don't sell) and I'm looking into what's available locally so we can carry something different, like Eco-Complete instead of something like Flourite that's available at Petsmart.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice setups!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
zynniv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the bowl! How's the light on that thing, will it keep the plants alive?
zynniv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good job, I really love the shrimp bowl Definitely push your boss to give planted tanks a try.

Better for the fish too.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zynniv View Post
I love the bowl! How's the light on that thing, will it keep the plants alive?
It will do alright with low light plants. I'd recommend placing it in a sunny spot if you want more than moss, anubias and java fern though.

My boss does seem interested in planted tanks, she even told me I should go into business putting them together for people. I'm flattered but I'm still very much in the learning stages myself. If someone asked me for a high-tech tank with CO2 and ferts I wouldn't really even know where to start.

I'm hoping that I can slowly get our store to show people how nice natural tanks are and supply something other than neon gravel and plastic decorations.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

I took some crappy phone photos of the Chi that got this whole thing started yesterday. I'm not really all that happy with it, I'd like something in there with a bit more height but It's a vast improvement over what it used to look like. It's stocked with gold white clouds, Amano shrimp, an otocinclus and a bunch of hitchiker snails.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

the spec v looks good, but ya i was thinkin overstocked as well
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.