throttling eheim classics with double tap connector
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
littletim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

throttling eheim classics with double tap connector

I just set up a 2215 on my 29, its running with an aquaclear 50 that I'll remove in a couple days which it is supposed to replace. The pressure from the spray bar is ridiculous, I noticed it more because the water level in the tank was low so i topped off the tank and could see a lot of water movement. It blew over a lot of taller plants and I noticed my angelfish was staying near the bottom half of the tank.

to help I turned one of the valves on the input tubing like 1/4 shut, is this bad for the motor? the only thing i can find about it are people saying to turn a valve on the output side but I can't see how this makes a difference
littletim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
cichnatic
Planted Member

You should go and switch that valve from intake to outake. The reason you don't use the intake valve is because restricting water coming in will cause the motor to work harder.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
killswitch
Algae Grower

Reducing the intake flow is bad because it can reduce the amount of water reaching the impeller. The impeller should always be run in water, never dry. If you run it dry or lacking in water, there will be a lot of friction.

Reducing/Blocking the output is okay because the water will have no where to go and just circulate within the canister.

The impeller is magnetically spun, not driven shaft so it isnt like throwing a monkey wrench at cogs.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

ya like everyone say, throttle down the outtake (spray bar) side NOT the intake.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

+1 on dialling down output and not input. You can also ease the flow by drilling more holes in the spraybar. This should be done in a conservative manner, as you cannot undrill these holes if the flow gets too weak!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
littletim
Algae Grower

I did switch to the output side after reading about it, I'm thinking of adding an extension to the spray bar to help with the flow. I have my spray bar about an inch and half from the bottom of the rim pointing parallel to the waters surface, would there be something better as far as circulating tank water? I thought about mounting it vertically in the opposite corner of the intake but I feel like the middle of the tank wouldnt have any movement then
Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

How do you have the spra bar installed? On the back wall or side wall? Most including me have it in the side wall, you will get more of a circular flow that way. If it don't fit hack saw it.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
littletim
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
How do you have the spra bar installed? On the back wall or side wall? Most including me have it in the side wall, you will get more of a circular flow that way. If it don't fit hack saw it.
I have it installed on the back now, having it on the side makes more sense. I am going to be adding co2 at some point, should i have it at a certain depth or angle to reduce surface agitation? also does it matter if its pushing my taller plants over?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletim View Post
I have it installed on the back now, having it on the side makes more sense. I am going to be adding co2 at some point, should i have it at a certain depth or angle to reduce surface agitation? also does it matter if its pushing my taller plants over?
if you want to reduce the flow ...add as much media as you can to fill up the canister....

aim the spray bar 45 degree up ...this way it move the water and your fish will be happy..

.i see ur running it on a 29...that pretty small for a powerful canister...
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
.i see ur running it on a 29...that pretty small for a powerful canister...
Not really. I'm running a 2217 on a 29g with reactor and heater - looks like I'm still going to need a power head.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
cichnatic
Planted Member

A 2215 will suffice for a 29 gallon but the flow could be a little weak if you remove the AC50. You might need a koralia or powerhead for extra flow if you are not planning to use the AC50.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

For reference I am running two Eheim 2217 canisters on my 75G with a JBJ Circulation pump at 1600GPH. I don't believe in restricting filtration in any way. Adjust the output location first. If you truly think you have too much force, get a smaller canister. Most likely you just need to reposition your spraybar up at an angle and mount it on the side.
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

You want to have a nice ripple effect at the surface for 02 exchange, don't worry about c02 loss, you want a nice balance of exchange for the fish and overall Health of the tank.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.