Preventing loss of siphon - canister
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Preventing loss of siphon - canister

Going to clean out my canister again today to try and improve flow once again. Every time I clean it, I am losing siphon despite having the Eheim disconnect system on my 2028 canister. I fill the canister up as much as possible without overflowing, then secure the lid. Then I plug in the intake/output assembly. Problem is, the air in the head of the unit displaces the water in my CO2 reactor and my CO2 reactor turns into a giant air bubble. I have to crack open the top of the reactor to let as much air as possible out and then I have to hit the prime button a few hundred times it feels like to try and work out the remaining bubble before I can get it to prime.

Is there something I can do to maintain the siphon during this re-connection?
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I have the same issue, if you can fill all lines with water plus the can. The reactor is the problem.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

try getting your canister farther down..lower altitude....more distance...should be simple to explain lol.

i had trouble with suction, some one recommended i do that so i took my canister off the inside of the stand and put it on the floor. problem solved.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Going to clean out my canister again today to try and improve flow once again. Every time I clean it, I am losing siphon despite having the Eheim disconnect system on my 2028 canister. I fill the canister up as much as possible without overflowing, then secure the lid. Then I plug in the intake/output assembly. Problem is, the air in the head of the unit displaces the water in my CO2 reactor and my CO2 reactor turns into a giant air bubble. I have to crack open the top of the reactor to let as much air as possible out and then I have to hit the prime button a few hundred times it feels like to try and work out the remaining bubble before I can get it to prime.

Is there something I can do to maintain the siphon during this re-connection?

hmm..shouldn't be a problem getting the siphon back again...

don't fill the canister all the way..fiill it half way and then prime it..water should glush and fill it up...then plus in the outlet
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Canister is on the floor as it is. The base of the reactor is 2 inches or so above the canister.

If I fill it up half way, I will simply have an impossibly large air bubble to fight. The water in the reactor will drain into the canister, but no more, after re-attaching the disconnect for the hoses. Unless I am missing something there. Priming results in no "gush" of water. I had to prime the unit so many times last time my hand was tingling for 3 hours afterwards and I had a blister develop.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Canister is on the floor as it is. The base of the reactor is 2 inches or so above the canister.

If I fill it up half way, I will simply have an impossibly large air bubble to fight. The water in the reactor will drain into the canister, but no more, after re-attaching the disconnect for the hoses. Unless I am missing something there. Priming results in no "gush" of water. I had to prime the unit so many times last time my hand was tingling for 3 hours afterwards and I had a blister develop.
anyway for you to take a picture of the setup?
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

I can do so when I get home. I have included a drawing in the mean time.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
mott
Planted Tank Guru

I have a 2026,AM 1000, hydor on the output, the only way I get it to prime without pushing the primer button a thousand times is to fill everything with water, all lines and reactor, starts up easily after that.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
I have a 2026,AM 1000, hydor on the output, the only way I get it to prime without pushing the primer button a thousand times is to fill everything with water, all lines and reactor, starts up easily after that.
I fill the canister up far enough that it spills out the sides when putting the lid on. The reactor and all hoses are full when I put the disconnects back on. You have a trick I am missing? When I reconnect the lines the reactor empties itself out into the canister and that's the point where I am screwed. I wonder if I can just pour water into the open intake/output on the lid of the 2028 before putting on the hoses to top it off?

Also, are you happy with the flow on your 2026? The flow on my 2028 seems terrible now.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Update -- I filled up the canister, then before putting on the hoses I topped it off from the outside. Connected hoses, no loss of siphon. My aquarium life just became about 100% better, rofl.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Buc MacMaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think your problem lies in putting any water at all in the cannister. Any water in the can prevents the priming pump from operating. With the can empty the primer pump can start water flow from the intake tube, filling the can as it pushes the air out the exhaust tube. Any water at all in the can sets up a "vapor lock" in the circuit. I know my Fluval operates this way, and reading the owners manual on your Eheim (online), it seems to be the same........no water in the can at all at initial setup/startup nor on any subsequent cleaning re-starts. Try that next time......let the priming pump do it's work: prime the can.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

If your having an issue with air like that just put the intake on leave the output off slowly open the outake till its full then you have a 100% filled canister and shouldnt have any issues, filling the hose is imo a dumb pita way vs that but thats me.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
mott
Planted Tank Guru

That's exactly what I do! Glad it worked for ya, you don't want to use the primer button unless you really have to, there is a known problem with the proII primer gasket, once it goes you gotta take the whole head apart to fix and it don't look like fun