Show me the light!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lightbulb

Show me the light!

I have a 30 gallon tank and need to purchase some lights. I want to be able to grow high light requiring plants. With all the talk about wattage and lumens and all these technical stuff no matter how much I read I remain profoundly confused. Can you show me which lights to get?
DannyDapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Sotty
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Couple questions that need to be answered before people can give suggestions.

Is your tank a 30g breeder with dimensions 36" x 18" x 12"? Don't see to many of these which is why I'm asking. Important to know the length and depth.

Are you going to be using injected CO2? If you want to go true high light you will need it or you grow algae mainly.

Are you open to LED lighting? or do you want to stay with florescent?
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

It's not a breeder, measurements are 30" x 12" x 18". I am planning on pressurized CO2 and I'm definitely open to LED, thank so much for your help! This is very confusing.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Twillz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the same size tank as you. I have the "Odyssea 36" T5 HO Trio Aquarium Light Fixture w/ Built-in Digital Timer + 3 LED 3x39W". You'll find various sources for it if you search around.

If you search around on the forums, you'll find that folks have had varying degrees of success with Odyssea products, but I've had mine a few months and I think it's great. A very convenient feature: there's a programmable panel on the front that lets you program on/off times for 2 of the lights, the 3rd light, and the LED moonlights, all separately. I've found that it gives you lots of options, especially as you're getting started and adjusting your photoperiod. (For example, I currently run a single bulb for a few hours, then no lights for a few hours, then two bulbs the rest of the day, moonlights until my usual bedtime).

I don't run CO2 (yet), but I did buy the fixture with the intent that it would give me the opportunity to do more with it in the future.

And yes, it can be very confusing. I think I spent dozens of hours reading posts on this forum before pulling the trigger on the lights. (Not to mention everything else...!) Keep reading and most of it starts to make sense after a while.
Twillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

Thanks for your reply! I'll look it up =)