Fluval Flora Canister and Lily Pipes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Psittac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Flora Canister and Lily Pipes

I finally got rid of all my tanks except my nano's. An edge and a flora. I'm moving out and need to simplify things but would like to finally get this flora nice instead of simply being a half done project.

Today I stepped on the lid and it made me start thinkin about how I was gonna get rid of the lid anyways for lily pipes.

I'm gonna put this tank on a wood stand made for a 24" cube tank and it'll have a particle board rim all around the bottom of it, so i'll drill holes in it and put a canister inside the stand.

Can anyone recommend a canister that will still pump strong if sitting on the floor? (I could maybe build a rack to put something like a zoomed directly under the tank).

I have a marineland c-160 and would love to use that so I don't have to spend money on anything else but i'm almost certain it'll way overpower the tank.

I need to spend as little as possible while getting the job done.

Also I need some good lily pipes that aren't gonna break while being as cheap as possible. Recommendations?
Psittac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
FreshPuff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have had my Fluval Flora for about a year now and and with it I am using an Eheim 2213 for filtration. The canister filter is a perfect match for that that size tank. Hope this helps!
FreshPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
AwkwardShrimp
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

i have 9mm lilypipes from aquaticmagic form ebay, for a zoomed canister, still havent set them up or anything so cant really review them for you, but they look pretty good quality i guess, glass is kinda thick,. i can take some pictures for you later. but i dont think a zoo med will work being below the tank. pretty sure it has to be level with the tank itself, i think the reason is that a canister that small is not strong enough for it to be below the tank itself. i cant tell you for certain though.
AwkwardShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Psittac
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
I have had my Fluval Flora for about a year now and and with it I am using an Eheim 2213 for filtration. The canister filter is a perfect match for that that size tank. Hope this helps!
That canister isn't overpowered for your tank? marine depot lists it as 116gph and the c-160 I have is rated at 160gph, that might be close enough.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
Psittac
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardShrimp View Post
i have 9mm lilypipes from aquaticmagic form ebay, for a zoomed canister, still havent set them up or anything so cant really review them for you, but they look pretty good quality i guess, glass is kinda thick,. i can take some pictures for you later. but i dont think a zoo med will work being below the tank. pretty sure it has to be level with the tank itself, i think the reason is that a canister that small is not strong enough for it to be below the tank itself. i cant tell you for certain though.
I can't seam to find those on ebay, when I search aquaticmagic all I get are plants.

I really don't want to get cheap pipes that break so i'm gonna find some that are recommended, if they cost more I'll save up for them. I'm glad I found a youtube video of a guy showing that his lily pipe cracked while putting it on cause I never would have thought about that, I would have just got the cheapest possible.

I'll look on ebay a little harder to see if I can find the ones you posted

Thanks both of you
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Psittac
Algae Grower

someone sent me a pm about some pipes and also mentioned stainless, looks like your gonna spend $100-150 on a set of those and they're hard to find so that's out of the question.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
AwkwardShrimp
Planted Member

some pictures of the lily pipes from aquatic magic. again i havent used them yet so i cant review them for you, they are 9 mm, they do feel pretty sturdy though i must say
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	57245  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	57246  

Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
KFryman
Planted Member

Wow! They are so small! I guess when I get my small canister I will just buy some lily pipes from him, I don't want something that will be real big in the tank, so it is perfect!
KFryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
AwkwardShrimp
Planted Member

Yeah since they are so small they are perfect for a zoomed or TomTom canister, don't really know how it would do with a bigger canister. Especially since these are 9mm

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
FreshPuff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I usually have to dial down the flow using the double tap connectors that come with the eheim filter. I think 160 will be too much for that little tank. I would try and figure out a way to lessen the flow...
FreshPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Psittac
Algae Grower

those look nice, I might have to get a zoomed and get some of those and forget putting it under the tank.

Not sure if i'm gonna do any upgrades though since money is gonna be tight.

Was seriously hoping I could use my marineland canister and save a load of money but really never thought a 30g filter would work on an 8g tank.