Single or pair recommendations?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Single or pair recommendations?

I'm still working on what I want to stock in my 29gal.

So far my list has 5/6 panda cories, 10/12 cardinal tetras and some amanos. I also want something a little bigger and a little more 'stand out'. A family member had two sword tails, but they have both passed. I really liked the look of them, but with them being livebearers, I also don't want to be dealing with fry. And after some reading it doesn't look like such a good idea to keep two males together (prefer the males with the swords over two females, plus the females can apparently hold eggs for awhile, so there's still a risk of a lot of potential fry).

So, I would really like something bright (orange, red, yellow). Something a little larger to stand out. But only one or two, so something happy without a big shoal. I'm thinking Betta again, but I always have bettas, hah! Thought it was time to consider something new. Any fun suggestions?
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

First thought that would make a great addition IMO is a pair of german blue rams, or one of their color morphs(electric blue ram, or gold ram). Second, and I don't have experience with them, is a male paradise fish. Another thought is a single angelfish, starting small, but I don't know how they would do with the amanos. Both the german rams and angelfish would be better to add last since they do better in a matured tank.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree with chevyguy on the rams. They are not too big but definitely bigger than the other fish in the tank. If you have never done GBR's then I think you should try. I wouldn't do an angel though, they can get pretty big.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could go with Electric Blue Rams (My personal Favorite), or some type of Apistogramma, Apistogrammas are harder then GBR's or Electric's but in some cases they can have a wider variety of colors to them and they dont get too big either, a pretty good center piece fish in my opinion

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Bolivian rams!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Apistos ftw!!!
DBlauj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

+1 Apistogramma ftw.

Viejita "red neck' get pretty large, probably more durable than a ram, and verry flashy (+Red).

If you want orange, check out cacatuoides orange flash, probably my favorite man made strain of fish. One of the easiest apistos(might eat Amanos though).
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
kkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please dont do the paradise fish! Killed all but one of my glowlight tetras.
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
forester
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1 for rams , while i was readin post it was first thing that popped up in my head and then i saw others saying it ^^ , unfortunatly i have alot of luck with things but not rams so i have no advice lol . but german blues look amazing ! or go with a small school of preacox rainbows , big enough and active enough to spice up ur tank ! the males have the broght red fins , females orange fins whith blue shimmer on body ^^
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow, rams are popular! I've seen them at my lfs, but never really looked. I will definitely check them out and the other suggestions here when I go in next. Thank you so much!
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote