Fish count
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
kkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish count

I have a community tank with 2 angels (2-1/2 to 3"), 2 bleeding hearts, 2 Ottos, 2 glass cats, a 5" pleco and 9 neons. is my fish count maxed out for a 30g (I believe I am getting close). I want to add some corys to help clean the substrate.
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fish stocking has more involved than just a simple number. The higher number can often be used if the tank is maintained in a better way. Physical space can limit things but often it is more a matter of what fish will live together. In my tank, I would expect the angels to start eating the neons. But if it works, it works!
More fish can be supported but it may require more attention. If you keep the water clean, more fish will work. If not, it can be a real bummer. So it gets back to you as the fish guy or gal. Do you want to do the work it may take?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Get rid of the pleco. They poop a ton and are of no benefit when compared to otos. I'd get at least three more bleeding heart tetras, as they get uncomfortable in groups less than 5-6. The angels, despite what some may think, should be totally fine in the tank when fully grown as long as the tank is at least 20 inches tall. They may end up eating the neons. A group of 5-7 cories would be fine. You can overstock the tank if you feed a bit less (I do twice daily feedings of small amounts every other day) and if you change the water in larger portions more often (50% a week or 30% twice weekly).

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
kkoch
Algae Grower

At this point the angels show no aggression to other fish, maybe a little to each other. I have had them for about 3 or 4 months now.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The angels and neon question is sometimes different. Fish are kind of like peopl sometimes. If the neons were there when the angels were small so that they are just thought of as "normal", they may be good for a long time. If the angels were there and big when the neons are added, they may be seen a a new food group.
I just have to go with what works because I find no real way to think like a fish.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Perfectly said. Angelfish are cichlids, and the absolute rule with any cichlid is: they do what they want, when they want, where they want, why they want, and how they want to do it. There's no denying it. The only thing you can 'make' them do is die. I think you have a very good chance at having them see the neons as tankmates, not food, but no guarantees.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
kkoch
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. The new 10 are down to 7. the first 5 all laid on the bottom when dead. the 3 that died from the batch of 10 all made it to the filter intake. what may of happened?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.