The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning) - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #151
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Looking better!!!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #152
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Now that I finally have things under control, I can see some great growth happening. All of my plants look healthy now, not just the rotala. I tore down one of my nanos and had a whole lot more Anubias nana 'petite' than I even dreamed (once upon a time, I couldn't get enough of this stuff, now I have it growing out of my ears). I had those shady areas around the main stone that needed something transitional. I filled it with nana, and I think it works nicely with the stone and moss there. It's giving me ideas for the next iteration of this tank...

My last trim was pretty brutal. The rotala is taking a very long time to come back, but its coming. I cut considerably further back than I have before, so the density is also quite a bit lower than before. This was intentional. I'm trying to incorporate some different colors and textures for variety. This may not work in traditional iwagumi style, but I think it will work here when things grow in. The ludwigia have transitioned and are growing well, albeit slowly (my light has been significantly reduced, I'm slowly increasing it to a manageable level). HC is spreading nicely, though the glosso is mainly growing vertically. I'm trimming and replanting while slowly increasing light.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #153
discusplantedtanklover
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice planted tank.
discusplantedtanklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #154
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusplantedtanklover View Post
Very nice planted tank.
Thanks!

I finally "finished" my light fixture! Woohoo! I reduced the moonlights to 2 emitters at about 20% output, so that should take care of that. It looks good, and the tank is pretty stable. The Belem is looking amazing, and my HC is slowly coming along and spreading. The glosso still isn't charging ahead, but it's growing.

My attempt at the reds failed in mush. It was a poor effort, to be sure. Not sure what lacked - maybe N? Maybe just being in the corner did it. Not certain. I have a couple stems left, but I don't expect much. Might try something else there if I can rule out a dark spot.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #155
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Thanks!

I finally "finished" my light fixture! Woohoo! I reduced the moonlights to 2 emitters at about 20% output, so that should take care of that. It looks good, and the tank is pretty stable. The Belem is looking amazing, and my HC is slowly coming along and spreading. The glosso still isn't charging ahead, but it's growing.

My attempt at the reds failed in mush. It was a poor effort, to be sure. Not sure what lacked - maybe N? Maybe just being in the corner did it. Not certain. I have a couple stems left, but I don't expect much. Might try something else there if I can rule out a dark spot.
Well I can say that I'm happy to hear that your light fixture is complete. Considering your use of HC and Belem, the intensity of your lighting in terms of PAR is an invaluable calculation for the size of a 120. My experience with red plants generally has been that they need very high light, sufficient iron and high N to really bring out their deepest coloration. But that was very limited to one or two species of plant and long, long ago. I've never really gotten on the "red" bandwagon, so to speak, though some of Tom Barr's reds are truly impressive. The leggyness of the glosso screams for an increase in light intensity and increased PAR at the substrate depth, IMHO.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #156
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Leggyness of glosso isn't always a PAR problem, sometimes it just needs to be trained to grow flat. I have a lower light tank where it is growing very low to the substrate but in an emmersed setup with more light it's growing leggy and has undoubtedly a higher PAR reading.

Tank is looking great, hope things grow in well!
Canon Pimp Club #032
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #157
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

ada all the way man get rid of those green pipes!
ADAtank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #158
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, guys!

I think the light is sufficient, I think it was another deficiency. I had a little cyano, so I thought maybe low N. The reds are doing ok, just not what I expected. As for glosso, it's not really leggy, just hasn't laid down yet. It's growing super slow, so I think it was transitioning still. Everything else is doing great, so I'm not too worried.

And yes, soon enough I'll get rid I the green pipes, haha... Just had to break up the purchases there or my wife would kill me! I have an allowance, ya know!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #159
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355108087.085162.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	58624

My CO2 ran out the other day, so a bit of BBA popped up, but things are coming along. The reds all passed into mush land, so I'm considering what to do with the space in the corners. I need lily pipes and clear hose. The green is driving me nuts!

Unfortunately, my atomic diffuser blew a seal, so I'm currently using my spare in-line. I may just continue this - less in the tank.

I think I finally (really this time) figured out my lights. With O2surplus' SmartyCat controller and sink's arduino code, I have smooth dimming, realistic moonlights, and precise control of my light levels. Now, all I need is a PAR meter to dial in the exact light level. O2's SmartyCat is incredibly user friendly in this regard.

Last edited by theblondskeleton; 12-10-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #160
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I need to build a light system like yours, the tank looks amazing
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #161
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, fplata! I'm afraid you might enjoy that - a lot. I still have some issues I'd like to tackle with mine, but I'm pretty sure this light is the best investment I've made aside from the 120-P.

I highly recommend the MakersLed heat sink. It's quite well thought out. The best part is with the optics, there's no glare! All (well, most of) the light goes in the tank my wife REALLY appreciates that (the tank is near our TV) and so do I. I can stare at the tank for hours and not get a headache, haha...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #162
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Thanks, fplata! I'm afraid you might enjoy that - a lot. I still have some issues I'd like to tackle with mine, but I'm pretty sure this light is the best investment I've made aside from the 120-P.

I highly recommend the MakersLed heat sink. It's quite well thought out. The best part is with the optics, there's no glare! All (well, most of) the light goes in the tank my wife REALLY appreciates that (the tank is near our TV) and so do I. I can stare at the tank for hours and not get a headache, haha...
Well if you stare at your for hours and not get a headache, then you're getting your money's worth IMHO. I love mine and debated about whether or not I should put it in my bedroom, but ultimately I've found that it was the right decision for me. I love being in bed and being able to watch what's going on, either while lying down or sitting at the foot.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #163
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A shot from the side. Happy holidays

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356915210.525308.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	60286
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #164
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Nicely done!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #165
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

absolutely beautiful. Great hardscape. Well planted. Just an overall superb looking tank.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote