Small Ammonia Spike
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 AM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

In one of my tanks I added some fish to recently, I had a small ammonia spike. Adding the fish is the only thing I could think that would have done this. I have been using ammonia lock, and I added ammonia remover media to my filter, but my ammonia test still reads a little in the water after a week of treatment. I think I am going to take the ammonia remove products back, since they are not working.

What should I do?
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Water changes. Typically, if this is a new tank with no mulm starter, it will take about a month to cycle completely. There's a number of things that affect the cycle- number of fish, degree of planting, feeding levels. There are products available to seed the nitrifying bacteria in the tank. I tried one called Cycle, and it was worse than useless. There's another that I can't remember the name of (Spiro something-or-other) that some have reported success with. Other than that, I'd say you better be doing something like 1/3 or better water changes every 3-4 days until you are reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, if you have overstocked a new tank. And stop adding fish until you get those numbers! My first tank I got a killer ammonia spike at about the third week. I was using Cycle, but thank God I was still testing the water and not trusting in the product. Since then, I start each new tank with mulm from an old one, and never see ammonia or nitrite in a tank.

James
Old 10-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Sounds more like a false positive ammonia test. I'll bet if you read the bottle of the ammonia lock it will tell you that it will not work with Nessler regent based test which are the most common type of ammonia test.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
mattrmiller
Planted Member

It's Not a new tank. It has been set up for more then 3 months, and has already completed it's cycle. I just do not know what caused it, and I can't seem to get it to go away. My Nitrites are at 0, and everything else is fine. My ammonia test is a liquid test, used with a test tube.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:34 AM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

What brand is the test kit?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
mattrmiller
Planted Member

The test kit is Aquarium Pharm, but I also had my LFS test it as well to ake sure. They read a small amount as well... like .25
Old 10-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

And what brand test kit did they use? To avoid false positive results when many water conditioners are used in water containing chloramines or when ammonia locking substances are used you MUST use a Salicylate based test kit. These types of test kits are few and far between and pretty expensive. Most LFS will use a Nessler based test kit because that's what they sell.