Seth's 72g, the never ending project. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

In the meantime youre welcome to check out my other tank journal i started for my low tech 72g

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196875
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Here's the update, I added the manzanita and moved/trimmed/replanted some plants, and added my new piece of manzanita.

I think it has too many fine branches throwing off the scale and depth of everything. This weekbd I will probably trim a lot of the smaller branches and thin it out too "match" the other piece.

I also have a few more plants coming!

More updates to come
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Oops forgot the pics
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
SloMo.00.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I think it has too many fine branches throwing off the scale and depth of everything. This weekbd I will probably trim a lot of the smaller branches and thin it out too "match" the other piece.
I think if you get a nice big java Fern growing inbetween those branches you might re consider that move. Or perhaps a few of the Needle leaf versions.

Also for the ballance of the tank, remove that wood on the left and stand back. Will change the look dramatically.

But that's me.
SloMo.00. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

I stood back quite a few times before I purchased the wood.....all I could think was "I need another branch" I'm gonna try to make this one work, i f it doesn't pan out I may start searching for a different piece.

As for the java fern I'm going for mainly stems in this tank. I have the crypts and I will probably be getting more Madagascar lace( or patiently waiting for mine to grow out) I also have a lot of java fern in my other 72g 4ft away. All my tanks have all different species of plants, no tanks share the same plant.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
SloMo.00.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I see. Good to have different plants in your tanks. Nice way to build up the plant species. For me that wood works quite well in that tank. I was also looking for a piece of wood for a long time before I started my tank. Turned out I had the exact piece I was looking for in the back yard. Here in SA the new Craze is spider wood, but I think its far too expensive for what you get. I like big chunky wood that has some branches. I absolutely love Mopani wood, but very difficult to get branchy Mopani. So I ended up using Grapevine to get that branchy look. Sometimes you get quite good looking grapevine, so maybe you can look into that possibility also?
SloMo.00. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Well I've spent quite a bit of money on this manzanita I may look into the spider wood or grapevine for my other tank though
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #38
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I am sure you already have, but in the off chance you haven't, try moving the base of the smaller brach to the far left front corner and angling the larger piece with it's base in the far right corner. This should create depth...at least in my mind it does. Hard to know without seeing it. Another thing I would try is turning the base up, placing the base in the upper corners in a way they are "out of view" if possible. This good give a neat effect also with the branches giving the illusion of hanging in the water from a tree on "the bank above".

Anyway...just some thoughts to try and help you achieve depth. It took me awhile to get my wood just right. Seemes I was tweeking it every time I walked by the tank. Finally I'm happy with it. Just keep playing with it until you find "it"

I love both pieces! Your tank will be so cool when your plants finish up the last touches!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #39
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Thanks I will be messing with the wood more in the future but for now I want it to sink. It's delicately wedged in place to hold it down. It is a hugePITA! Trying to plant with this wood in the tank. It's like trying to play operation through a barb wire fence!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #40
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Thanks I will be messing with the wood more in the future but for now I want it to sink. It's delicately wedged in place to hold it down. It is a hugePITA! Trying to plant with this wood in the tank. It's like trying to play operation through a barb wire fence!
I can totaly imagine because mine has far less branches and twigs and I have a few cuts on my arm from planting around the dang thing!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #41
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Yeah it seems like the hardest duff to plant also happens to be the stuff that keeps floating up. Now I just have a lot of floating plants everyday.

I also can not get my glosso to stay planted I'm starting to consider going another route, but I tend to have that problem with most ground covers
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #42
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

I got some free plants today that we're thrown in with my 10 baby abn plecos I won on a raok

Hygrophylia sp tiger
Pogestemon stellatus narrow leaf
Staurogyne sp porta vello

They are floating right now but hopefully I will get them planted tonight when I get off work.

Any suggestions on placement?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #43
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome! Congrats on your new plants!!! Sorry I don't have any suggestions for placement though. I am sure you will place them just right though!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #44
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Where did you get that drift wood?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #45
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Where did you get that drift wood?