Help, found a dead CRS in my tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

Help, found a dead CRS in my tank

Yesterday afternoon I did a 25% water change to my 10 gallon tank, the drop checker was originally blue and shifted to a yellow-green color. I then turned off the CO2 tank. This evening I noticed it had turned back to green, but I found one of my crystal red shrimp dead. Please help me to identify the problem, I'm thinking its because of the major water change.. Also what would be the best way to get my tank more oxygenated thanks!
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

i had this problem as well. I woke up one morning to find my first and only CRS death, I noticed that the co2 rain out during the night. I believe the pH fluctuation caused it. get that co2 back online and keep it stable without changing it.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

well being ur at sea level u should have plenty of o2 in your tank with good water movement but if u feel that u still need some get a bubbler with a fine stone*best ive found are at hydroponic shops* that create almost as fine bubbles as the atomizers but work on reg air pumps there just a fine ceramic i think i paid $10 for a 6inch tube shape.

the water change isnt really a big water change % wise but we dont know what ur levels were different between the two *that is where u can stress them*, u can do 50% or more daily if the water is all the same its always the difference in the water that causes issues, this is why its good to have ph,tds,ec,temp and all other test kits to get a guide of where ur water is at so u can have a good understanding of how fast your tank changes an when it needs changed to maintain safe levels for them.

also one dead shrimp doesnt always send a red flag up that there is something wrong, it might be good to test everything but shrimp get old and die so test if everything comes out ok dont stress, just keep an eye out.

most done use co2 on shrimp tanks, i have and it was very low like 1bubble every 4-5 sec max on a 20L, but i wouldnt go much more as that kept the plants happy and shrimp still breeding i didnt want to test the max they could handle theres no need for that loss to me.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
Yesterday afternoon I did a 25% water change to my 10 gallon tank, the drop checker was originally blue and shifted to a yellow-green color. I then turned off the CO2 tank. This evening I noticed it had turned back to green, but I found one of my crystal red shrimp dead. Please help me to identify the problem, I'm thinking its because of the major water change.. Also what would be the best way to get my tank more oxygenated thanks!
Shift in tds or suffocation from co2 running at night would be reasonable suspicions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
i had this problem as well. I woke up one morning to find my first and only CRS death, I noticed that the co2 rain out during the night. I believe the pH fluctuation caused it. get that co2 back online and keep it stable without changing it.
This situation reads like an end of tank dump. You suggested resolution warrants further clarification. Keep what stable without changing what?