Fluval G6 - Stay Away
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval G6 - Stay Away

All,

I have been using the Fluval G6 for almost a year now, while a great design in some places it really misses the mark for people who want to do a planted tank.

Save your money, get a Eheim 2217.

Fluval G6 - $315 @ Amazon
- 1 Gallon of Media
- 665 GPH Pump
- 265 GPH Filtration

Eheim 2217 - $145 @ Amazon
- 1.6 Gallon of Media
- 260 GPH Pump
- 224 GPH Filtration
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

What exctly are your problems with the Fluval G6. Without details , youre just bashing...
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I've read a lot of bad reviews of the G6. Apparently the parts go out on it on what seems like a weekly basis for some owners.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

which parts exactly? Anyone care to talk specifics?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive heard either glowing reviews or vicious bashing towards the G series.
I know one local fish store has had one running 24/7 for about 3 years on a heavily stocked display tank and a couple more trustworthy employees vouch for it but anecdotal evidence isn't worth much.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I give an A+ to my FX5. Dunno about the G series. For $230 shipped it's a beast.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I'm not sure about the complete list of parts, specifically, that people had troubles with, but I do know that they complained about having to clean the pre-filter on an almost-daily basis and that the impeller rotor was garbae, to name a few. When I was looking at a new filter, I looked at the G6, but was turned away at the extreme reviews (like blink said, either really good or really terrible). I just remember seeing a lot of people complaining that they had to keep fixing it all the time.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Working on a full list of the issues and the high points. For a marine tank I am sure it would work beautifully if you didn't want to have a sump & wet/dry setup. Stay Tuned.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Sorry for the delay, I forgot to subscribe to this post.

My Unorganized Thoughts on the G6

The cost of the mechanical filtration is ~$25. This is expensive but it is positioned as reusable and highly cleanable. (Like most other sponge mechanical media.)

There are two options for mech. Micron or "Regular" I have tried both. Obviously the micro will clog sooner.

That said, when I initially setup the filter it was great. Flow was great, performance was great. (I upgraded from a 405 and had a noticeable improvement.)

After running this for a year with it unable to keep up with my planted tank I decided to give up on the filter and move it to my FOWLR Cichlid tank. 1 week in and have had no issues with clogging.

Improvements on G series compared to previous Fluval models:
- Smooth Tubing
- Opaque Tubing
- "Easy Maintenance" - You can just remove the mech and clean it. (Too bad this had to be done every other day or else flow would drop to almost zero.
- "Lots" of bio media space
- VERY quiet

Cons for the G6 series
- Expensive Media
- Every other day cleaning on planted tanks
- 1 Gallon of Media in a HUGE canister. (Eheim 2217 have 1.6 gallons of media in a smaller form factor)
- Introduces a lot of air bubbles into the tank. (This is due to the negative pressure in the canister as it begins to clog.)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I give an A+ to my FX5. Dunno about the G series. For $230 shipped it's a beast.
I was going to go FX5 but after comparison in terms of filtration efficiency and wanted less to break I decided to go with the Eheim Classic work horse.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

If it is clogging/low flow, try removing some of the media or changing to a different type? I can cause low flow in my 2028 by adding a lot of the wrong media.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
If it is clogging/low flow, try removing some of the media or changing to a different type? I can cause low flow in my 2028 by adding a lot of the wrong media.
You have two choices for mechanical filtration in this filter and its proprietary.
Run it without the pre-filter and it works great. Problem then is you risk clogging the impeller with detritus.

There is no sponge type mechanical media.

Regular Pre-Filter

- OR -

Fine Pre-Filter

If you look at the top of the cartridge there is a screw type joint which ties into the priming system.

Fluval tried to increase vendor lock in here. Their implementation is poor for planted aquariums. Moving this to my FOWLR Cichlid has stopped the clogging issues and it is running great.

So if you have just a freshwater tank or marine tank, by all means this filter is great. Planted tanks not so much.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

For additional thoughts see this thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103919

There are 15 pages from G3 & G6 owners. I don't know where some of you are hearing all these horror stories? In all fairness to Fuval or any company if you don't have 1st hand or can't at least offer a link to some that has 1st hand info, don't post "product gossip".

ronaldvalente - I respect your thoughts as they are your opinions. I definitely don't agree with them

In my current 40gl (heavily planted) tank I don't have any of these concerns:

"Cons for the G6 series
- Expensive Media
Media came with unit - Don't understand how this is a problem???
- Every other day cleaning on planted tanks
I clean the Mechanical filter maybe 2Xs a month during a W/C, the Bio filter every 3mos
- 1 Gallon of Media in a HUGE canister. (Eheim 2217 have 1.6 gallons of media in a smaller form factor)
I don't understand how more media is a problem???
- Introduces a lot of air bubbles into the tank. (This is due to the negative pressure in the canister as it begins to clog.)"
It has to be pretty darn clogged-up to do this and is the filter clogged the filters fault or the Hobbyiest fault

To be accurate I have the G3 which has a smaller filter area and a smaller motor. In my case, I don't even like Canister Filters. I always felt they were a PIA to clean and I'm getting too old to be crawling around under Aquarium stands. A canister can't do anything that a well made HOB can do. I bought my because of how easy it is to clean and under my open stand you see it. It doesn't even look like a filter, more like computer or stereo equipment.

If one can personal justify the higher co$t for the convinces offered in the "G" series go for it. That I honestly believe is the whole point. If someone would do an objective Side by Side test with any filter with approx. the same specs, I'm pretty sure they will both do the same thing.

I think it's a pretty common trend in our society to Poo-Poo equipment based on price and, I find even stranger, trying to justify quality when buying cheap knock-off equipment.

Last edited by DogFish; 11-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: puctuation
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post

I've actually doubled my media and don't have flow issues with the smaller G3.

Post#53 http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=193669&page=4
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldvalente View Post
...So if you have just a freshwater tank or marine tank, by all means this filter is great. Planted tanks not so much.

I don't understand what you are doing in a planted tank thar's causing all your clogging issues?

Is it small leaves from stem plants? Are you making a mess with MTS(dirt) as you plant/replant??