120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 101
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #1501
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
How is the rotala magenta doing? I came to the conclusion that I can't grow the rotala macrandra in my tank. I don't quite know what to think as the rotala magenta became very stunted on the new growth and started to get some hair algae on it so it became compost before it spread to anything else. The rotala macrandra that I have planted twice looked really good for a few weeks then it started to melt from the bottom up. I have been thinking about a plant to put in the place of the rotala and everytime I look at your tank the Patanal stands out so that is the plant that I need to find now.
It did very well.
I've failed a few times with it in the past on other tanks(CO2, patience etc), but it's always around. Ludwigia spaerocarpa is more interesting and better behaved and at 10-15$ per stem............and very easy for me to grow..........so that's hard to argue with.

Pantanal might do better for you, R macrandra is easier than magenta IME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #1502
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcampbell View Post
So if you where to do it again you would set it up like a reef tank, with an external Herbie or bean style box on the side? I am in the process of setting up a new tank (120x60X55CM) and want to go sump. Just can't figure if better sticking with the ugly box in the tank, a hand on box like yours or just having the box built to the side of the tank and then running a Herbie or bean style setup. suggestions? what size pipes and pump rate would you suggest for a tank this size - you have more experience than me.
Actual one end of the entire tank would be about 1.5" shorter and some smaller teeth would be used, but then it would go to a shallow bean animal style over flow.

I most cases a slim style like the CPR's are best, the 70 Gal I have is very exposed, but folks hardly even see/notice the overflow/return.

A smaller, but more costly option is the Mame all glass version.
2 of those would work on a tank your size. 500-600$ though.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #1503
Requality
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)

Amazing tank! I was wondering what is your Co2 Set up? How is it defused and the bps?
Requality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #1504
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
How is the rotala magenta doing? I came to the conclusion that I can't grow the rotala macrandra in my tank. I don't quite know what to think as the rotala magenta became very stunted on the new growth and started to get some hair algae on it so it became compost before it spread to anything else. The rotala macrandra that I have planted twice looked really good for a few weeks then it started to melt from the bottom up. I have been thinking about a plant to put in the place of the rotala and everytime I look at your tank the Patanal stands out so that is the plant that I need to find now.
dont give up. i had the same issue. but now in the same setup but with more CO2, i have r. macrandra variegated doing quite nicely, and r. macrandra green doing well too.
try planting a stem of it right between your foreground and midground. it wont look nice, but thats where the water is least likely to stagnant IME, and thus CO2 should be the most available as fresh CO2 rich water from the diffuser constantly washes over the leaves. if it does fine there, then you know what your issue is.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #1505
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
dont give up. i had the same issue. but now in the same setup but with more CO2, i have r. macrandra variegated doing quite nicely, and r. macrandra green doing well too.
try planting a stem of it right between your foreground and midground. it wont look nice, but thats where the water is least likely to stagnant IME, and thus CO2 should be the most available as fresh CO2 rich water from the diffuser constantly washes over the leaves. if it does fine there, then you know what your issue is.
I'm not giving up on it yet. Lets just say I'm moving on. I had my rotala magenta in the midground of the tank and I could see the bubbles blowing all around the plant. It was doing alright for the first 2 months then it started stunting on new growth. The problem is I have been trying a few different methods of co2 diffusion over the past few months and during my experimentation there was some times the co2 wasn't ideal. I'm sure I will try it again sometime. It is a beautiful plant
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #1506
Abhi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

An amazing tank with an equally amazing thread with great info.
Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #1507
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requality View Post
Amazing tank! I was wondering what is your Co2 Set up? How is it defused and the bps?
Right into the return pump. BPS?
Heck if I know.........
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1508
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Right into the return pump. BPS?
Heck if I know.........
you mean, too fast to count. haha

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #1509
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
you mean, too fast to count. haha
You are welcomed to try.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #1510
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

UG is starting to take and fill in. I'll likely Fissidens the wood next to the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa(incorrect:L. pilosa) on the Right side to add some more contrast there.

Prior to hacking today:

I likely will fill in the L. tornado in the rear more.
I have some R vietnam in the Right corner that's growing fast and will contrast with the R wallichii.
I plan on having a pretty good sized bunch/patch of L senegalensis and in about 1-2 more weeks, it'll be a massive sight.
The L. sphaerocarpa(old incorrect pilosa) is a fast grower and does very well, better behaved for some reason that in the past. Easy for me to propagate.
S. belem is a decent plant in the rear. Might try something else other than it however.

The Rotala "sunset" is now in the 180 Gal and I'll keep it in the back ground. It does very well and can grow and branch all it wants in there.

Need to add some more fish.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #1511
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

every image of this tank is something worth drooling over. and its awesome how youre always rearrange and changing things. makes for a very dynamic scape that never looses any of its appeal.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #1512
Revonok
Algae Grower

This set up looks fantastic, seriously great job. You should take some super hi-res photos and make posters of this tank XD I'd hang one on my wall! 8]
Revonok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1513
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revonok View Post
This set up looks fantastic, seriously great job. You should take some super hi-res photos and make posters of this tank XD I'd hang one on my wall! 8]
Then it ends up being a cover shot in a Chinese mag, had enough images stolen over the years. Big enough to see on line, but not enough to make a mag cover, display with.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #1514
BeachBum2012
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Then it ends up being a cover shot in a Chinese mag, had enough images stolen over the years. Big enough to see on line, but not enough to make a mag cover, display with.
Some day, after reading more and more of your journals, I hope to have this problem.

The tank is looking great as usual. An inspiration for sure.

Mr Aqua 17g
BeachBum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #1515
Tom Barr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum2012 View Post
Some day, after reading more and more of your journals, I hope to have this problem.

The tank is looking great as usual. An inspiration for sure.
Yea, it only took me 35 years in the hobby
Tom Barr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.