African Cichlid Disease (Columnaris/Internal Parasite)?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Exclamation

African Cichlid Disease (Columnaris/Internal Parasite)?

Over the past few weeks my bathroom in my apartment has been getting renovated because my landlord was too irresponsible to get it done over the summer. Anyway, my 55 gallon African Cichlid tank suffered because of it. I was finally able to get a water change in to improve water params but not before it claimed the lives of 3 of my fish (they were lower on the chain so were already more stressed).

One of the surviving members is a Pundamilia Pundamilia Hap and he's showing signs of disease. His belly is hollow even though he is eating and active. I've specifically watched him and made sure that he is eating. This symptom makes me think he has some sort of internal parasite.

I also noticed a sore/lesion that has appeared behind his lower fin. It's hard to tell if it's an injury mark from aggression from other tankmates or if it's an internal disease.

Also, just when I went to take photos of him to show you all I noticed a white patch on his dorsal fin which led me to Columnaris.

Any thoughts? I'm heading to the nearest town to pick up some medications later today and will be setting up a QT tank in a plastic bin.

PHOTOS: Sorry for the fish being out of focus. I wanted to get the shots up ASAP so I didn't wait for the perfect shot.
Hollow Belly

Lesion behind fin

The Fin rot isn't really as bad as it looks in this photo (although he does have some). The tail is mid stroke.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Steveboos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whatever the issue, isolate and quarantine him ASAP. Start treatment with some regular Aquarium Salt at around 2-3 Tablespoons per 5 gallons. Raise temperature up to 83-86 in QT tank and he should improve if it is NOT Columnaris.
20 Gallon Yellow Neo Tank
20 Gallon Half Moon Amazon Serpea Tank.
10 Gallon Blue Velvet Neo's
10 Gallon Betta/Cherry Neo Tank
10 Gallon Betta Tank
12G Rimless Club
Steveboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'd go for internal flagella. If it was columnaris, it would have died within 72 hours.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

But if it is Columnaris (like what I think the white area is) then won't the increased temperature be detrimental to him? I've already begun setting up his QT tank.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Steveboos
Algae Grower

I always kept my African's at 82-83 normally, so i don't know how different your main tank will vary from that 84-86.

But Columnaris is a NASTY disease and doesn't give them much time, so if he has made it this far, you may still have a good fighting chance at saving him.
20 Gallon Yellow Neo Tank
20 Gallon Half Moon Amazon Serpea Tank.
10 Gallon Blue Velvet Neo's
10 Gallon Betta/Cherry Neo Tank
10 Gallon Betta Tank
12G Rimless Club
Steveboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

What are water parameter's ?
In African tank,I would expect to see fishes with varying degree's of fin damage from territorial disputes, and or dominant fishes letting subdominant fish know who the boss is.
Hollow belly could indeed be intestinal parasite.
Assuming the fish is still eating,, I might consider mixing equal amount of fish food and anti-parasite med ,and making a kind of paste .
Can then freeze the paste, and offer this as only food for next week or two.(break off small chunk's)
Work's well for larger cichlid's I have kept (assuming they were still eating) and requires sometimes not offering food for a few day's before treatment and only feeding the medicated food.
This method also work's with antibiotic's and it is believed by many, to be more effective than treating the water.
With this method ,the fish ingest's the medication along with favorite food, and no need to re-dose water after perhap's twice weekly water changes for a while.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I want to QT him anyway. The fin damage is to be expected but still noteable.

I keep my tank at 78 normally. pH was at 8.0 when I did the water change. I will test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates before and after I do the next water change.

I haven't tested the water since I did a water change a couple days ago. Ammonia may have been slightly detectable but that can be explained by the dead fish I found. Nitrites were at 0 but Nitrates were high (above 40ppm...which could explain the dead fish).

I'll be doing another big water change on the 55 in the next day or two (hopefully tonight).