Sexing Electric Blue Balloon Rams
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
biggerbang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Sexing Electric Blue Balloon Rams

I recently purchased two electric blue rams. But I'm having trouble sexing them. They tend to stick together but they don't interact much. Can anyone help me sex them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121111_223620.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	56942  

biggerbang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

I think the male is the left one and the female is the right one. Will need more pictures. the one on the right looks like a def female.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
biggerbang
Algae Grower

Here's 3 more images of the ram on the left. They seem to be staying near each other, but that could just be because of they are new to the aquarium and are just shy. But I have no idea how rams should be acting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121111_223642.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	56961  

Name:	20121111_223636.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	56962  

Name:	20121111_223629.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	56963  

Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Omg Soooo cute! I have nothing helpful to add, lol i have a Bolivian ram and still no idea what sex it is. I'm really bad at sexing fish lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Drowki
Planted Member

both look female. I really need side photos.

The male is less rounded than the female... the ovalish shape is a good indicator of a female. Do they hang out and seem like a pair?

If you want to check, they usually spawn within a week or two if proper requirements are met. (ex. temp 82-83 degrees, PH around 6.3ish - I have had them spawn at 6.8-7.0 before, but usually the eggs dont do to well in higher PH.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Drowki
Planted Member

looking back at this thread, I am a little jealous of your blue rams. Looks nicer than my little runt!

She is smaller than my German Blues
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'd guess you'll have to let their fins grow out a bit before you can figure this out. The electric blue covers up any color dimorphism, and the ballooning covers up any morphological dimorphism!
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
I'd guess you'll have to let their fins grow out a bit before you can figure this out. The electric blue covers up any color dimorphism, and the ballooning covers up any morphological dimorphism!
Well said .

Anyway, It seems that the only way to possibly identify these two is by their dorsal rays or see if they breed. Did you notice any pairing behavior, chasing, nipping, etc. from when they were put in till now?
chevyguy8893 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
biggerbang
Algae Grower

That's what i ended up realizing. But I noticed that they don't hang out together. They aren't aggressive to each other, but they tend to explore on their own. I might go to my LFS and find an alpha male acting ram. My rams are currently in a 20 gallon long aquarium. Once they reach maturity, I will have to remove one of them right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

If you add a male and the two you have are females, then once two pair off the third should be removed. They get aggressive when breeding and a 20L wouldn't be big enough for an odd ram out. It isn't always the easiest to get a pair, but sometimes it happens quickly. Either way, good luck with the fish, and nice pictures BTW.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
biggerbang
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
If you add a male and the two you have are females, then once two pair off the third should be removed. They get aggressive when breeding and a 20L wouldn't be big enough for an odd ram out. It isn't always the easiest to get a pair, but sometimes it happens quickly. Either way, good luck with the fish, and nice pictures BTW.
What exactly do I look for in their dorsal fins once they do grow out? I'm contemplating on whether I should add another ram or not. My LFS sells them at 20 each and if I did get two to pair, I would just have to give it to my LFS for free... but I'll see how things are next week and if I'm sure they aren't going to pair up, I'll go ahead and purchase another one.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbang View Post
What exactly do I look for in their dorsal fins once they do grow out? I'm contemplating on whether I should add another ram or not. My LFS sells them at 20 each and if I did get two to pair, I would just have to give it to my LFS for free... but I'll see how things are next week and if I'm sure they aren't going to pair up, I'll go ahead and purchase another one.
These features should be identifiable on even younger rams IIRC. On males the second dorsal ray is generally elongated, and on some the dorsal fin is also more prominent and pointed towards the back resulting in more of a swooped (the only word I can think of) look to it. Whereas the female may or may not have elongated dorsal rays, and the dorsal fin looks flatter across the top. This may not work as well with the ballon rams, but the pelvic fins in the male are generally longer (extending past the anal opening) and more pointed than a female.

Are you looking to try breeding these leading you to want a pair? I am surprised they won't at least give you half your money back. I must just be use to my fish stores' return policies. Even if you just have two females, then you should still be fine.

Here's a picture of my old pair of GBR's that had very distinct differences in the dorsal rays and pelvic fins. That way you can kinda get an idea of the differences. There are pictures for this online, but I don't know this site's policy for linking pictures and I don't want to infringe on someones property. I hope all this helps you out some.

The male is on the left

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.