Gro Soil Tabs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Gro Soil Tabs

I just bought some and want to put them under the Eco complete in my tanks.

Any suggestions? Can I just push them in with my hand?
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Yes you want to make sure you get them under the substrate quickly, I've found that pushing them in thin edge first and then pushing it flat it underneath works about the best hope it helps
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are these aquarium fertilizer? The instructions will be on the package, how many to use, how often. Yes, push them as deep as you can into the substrate.

Are these garden fertilizers? Nothing came up when I googled "Gro Soil Tabs"
Got a link?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

I bought them from hydrophyte and I googled to find info but didn't find a site.

On the label:

Gro soil tab
Topsoil for any planted aqaurium
Copyright 2011 Aqua Gardn

I have been googling and not finding anything.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

www.ripariumsupply.com

There were a couple threads on these a few months ago, so keep searching the forum.

I got them for my eco complete and they've been great so far.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbgirl View Post
www.ripariumsupply.com

There were a couple threads on these a few months ago, so keep searching the forum.

I got them for my eco complete and they've been great so far.

Hi Barb!

How did you shove them in?

With your hand?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hola!
I tried with some long tweezers/tongs first...... no go hehe. But yeah ended up just using my fingers and pushing it in at an angle.
I'm honestly not sure if they are fertilizer. I just used them because figured they would help my ecocomplete haha.

I am worried about if I take plants out or move them that a "cloud" of dust might ensue.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i break em into halves (use your scissors if your having trouble), and then stick em in pointy-end first on a diagonal and just leave to fall apart and sift to the bottom.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Hi folks! I apologize I did not post that image with the instructions again. I link it below.

The grō soil tabs function like a thin topsoil underlayer, providing a slow release source of nutrients for plant roots. Unlike regular topsoil, you can add grō soil tabs to your established tank. Just push them down into the gravel substrate until they rest on the bottom glass pane. Make sure they are well-covered with gravel and avoid disturbing after placement. Use the grō soil tabs in combination with CO2 injection and water column fertilization for best results.

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hi folks! I apologize I did not post that image with the instructions again. I link it below.

The grō soil tabs function like a thin topsoil underlayer, providing a slow release source of nutrients for plant roots. Unlike regular topsoil, you can add grō soil tabs to your established tank. Just push them down into the gravel substrate until they rest on the bottom glass pane. Make sure they are well-covered with gravel and avoid disturbing after placement. Use the grō soil tabs in combination with CO2 injection and water column fertilization for best results.

Thanks!

And thanks for the humate tabs bonus -- might you have a sheet for those as well?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
i break em into halves (use your scissors if your having trouble), and then stick em in pointy-end first on a diagonal and just leave to fall apart and sift to the bottom.
Oh thanks for the tips!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

I updated that instructions sticky label and here is the Web image...

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I've used Hydrophyte's GroSoil and GroHumate tabs for two different setups over the past year or so, and I've gotten some pretty remarkable changes in my tanks. The growth and health of all my plants really perked up, even though I was dosing EI, using pressurized CO2, had superior lighting, and a "plant" substrate. The colors, especially for my red plants and cryptocornes really started popping too. I swear by them! I add more about every six months, and it really has paid off for me.

As Barbgirl mentioned, there is a LITTLE dust that comes up if you yank out rooted plants, but it isn't much more than what you would expect by simply removing rooted plants from a substrate without the Gro Tabs. From my experience, the "dust" is quick to settle or is simply filtered out. I've never found it problematic by any means. Certainly, the benefits by far outweigh any sort of very temporary "cloud" that may arise.

One of the best products for planted tanks out there, in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
I've used Hydrophyte's GroSoil and GroHumate tabs for two different setups over the past year or so, and I've gotten some pretty remarkable changes in my tanks. The growth and health of all my plants really perked up, even though I was dosing EI, using pressurized CO2, had superior lighting, and a "plant" substrate. The colors, especially for my red plants and cryptocornes really started popping too. I swear by them! I add more about every six months, and it really has paid off for me.

As Barbgirl mentioned, there is a LITTLE dust that comes up if you yank out rooted plants, but it isn't much more than what you would expect by simply removing rooted plants from a substrate without the Gro Tabs. From my experience, the "dust" is quick to settle or is simply filtered out. I've never found it problematic by any means. Certainly, the benefits by far outweigh any sort of very temporary "cloud" that may arise.

One of the best products for planted tanks out there, in my opinion.

Yeah, I swear by these as well. If I can give one piece of advice for crypt growers, it would be these tabs.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote