33gallon long (with 55g sump!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I forgot, lumber on the Scooter .... EXTRA CREDIT for the commitment to the hobby!

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
boxhead1990
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Damn thats comitment carrying the wood on a scooter haha

Couldnt get away with that in brisbane haha

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
boxhead1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Update for the afternoon:
Got the tanks moved into position. Ran out of steam for now (got a math exam tomorrow night)

I am going to go with the magnetic panel option as far as covering the sump

Thinking Fluorite for the substrate? Need input here, wanting to keep the substrate size small (particle size) And want something that will be good for plants

The reef idea is still out there, just don't know anything about saltwater, but the guy at the lfs swears it isnt hard (just need a skimmer and a sump pump for salt as far as equipment goes) Anyone have advice here? How hard are reefs to set up and maintain?

Would be cool to pull the black plastic trim off the top, but i want to keep it covered and i'm not sure if the tank is designed to handle being rimless.

And the closing note, thanks for the input so far everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121114_084656.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	57136  

Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
manik
Algae Grower

If you went reef. We'd have to kick you off TPT... and then kill you.

40B Journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...54#post2050954
manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

after trolling around TheGreenMachine, i must make a nature tank. Someone stop me from ordering all my substrate from them
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #21
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by biogenetic40379 View Post
after trolling around TheGreenMachine, i must make a nature tank. Someone stop me from ordering all my substrate from them
Go MTS or AS! I also considered Stratum for a minute before setting up my new tank. Where are you? I think Green Mach. is in the UK. I beleive they're resellers of AS as well, shipping to the US could be rediculous

40B Journal
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Safe T Sorb would be way more affordable than Flourite. Have you considered it? $4 for 40 pounds, usually. Or just under $10 for 40 pounds shipped directly to your doorstep from Drillspot/Grainger.

The tank is small enough that it wouldn't be unrealistic to use ADA Aquasoil, though. Depending upon budget.

Reefing isn't really difficult. At least not more difficult than the stuff we do on TPT. But coral is expensive as all get out, skimmers are expensive, the lighting you need will cost you easily $300-$400. The initial salt investment is expensive. You'd want an auto top-off system.

Have you thought about maybe scaping a chamber of your giant sump and leaving it open for viewing? Wouldn't have to cover the front of the stand if you went that route. If there were chambers you didn't want to be visible, it would be cheap and easy to cover the front of them with black vinyl or removable black acrylic/plastic sheets.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
You are clever enough to get this far on your own, building your own substrate won't be a problem.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Nice set up. If you wanted you could use a piece of corrugated sheet metal or a piece of diamond plate framed would look cool for a front cover. Or a cool glow from your sump light could shine through a frosted type plexiglass front that you could slide one way or the other to access the bottom but still conceal it. These probably wouldn't be cheap or what your looking for since your stand is so big though.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

So after talking to the LFS (the freshwater one), they told me they will be able to almost match internet pricing on eco complete and fluorite. Thinking 40lbs of fluorite and capping with a 20lb bag of eco complete. Thoughts? Would lowes or Home depot have safe t sorb? And what are the advantages of using it (too lazy to search atm)

Edit: Forgot to mention i found a possible mother/ father stone at the lfs... pics soon
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Would be cool to pull the black plastic trim off the top, but i want to keep it covered and i'm not sure if the tank is designed to handle being rimless.
From what I've read, it's risky to derim anything over 20G.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
manik
Algae Grower

I wouldn't de-rim that tank. Too much length on the front. It would definitely bow out, and hopefully not too much. If the glass was 1/2"... then I'd think about it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.

I used eco-complete in my old tank. I didn't have C02... but, ime as we as I've heard from others (in my substrate searches) that eco-complete has a tendency to hold BBA spores. I also found it impossible to clean from hair algae too. I'd try to suck the hair algae out, and massive clumps of eco-complete would get sucked out too, cause it's all bound in it.

Saf T Sorb is a cat litter. Not gonna find it at Home depot

40B Journal
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #28
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Safe T Sorb isn't actually a cat litter. It's similar. Holds up much longer, as does Turface.

Home Depot, depending upon location, does occasionally have similar products.

Best bet for finding STS is to check out the retailers I mentioned above. If you have a location close to you, it'll cost about $5 for 40 pounds. If not, it's about $10ish for 40 pounds - including shipping.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #29
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Safe T Sorb isn't actually a cat litter. It's similar.
Good to know. Isn't there some kind of cat litter people talk about here, for substrates? It could be my mind that imagining things, it's been known to do that occasionally

40B Journal
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #30
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

good to know about the eco complete. I would like to get a good substrate that will last along time. Since the tank is being set up, i might do dry ferts in the bed. I have osmocote. I have a menard's in town, sounds like they would probably have it, if not, i can order it from Grainger. I am looking at close to 60lb rough estimate in substrate to get the proper banks. Went to Hobby lobby, they only had thin clear plastic sheets, so i will try and make them work as substrate braces. Also picked up some cholla wood for my shrimp tank for like $3....Score.

Back to safe T Sorb, i read some threads about it, seems like a mixed debate, some people are saying it is breaking down, others are saying it awesome. Didn't know if anyone wants to chime in here and clear things up

And finally, i need Staurogeyne Repens (Spell check?) I think this will make a better carpet than HC. Two other plants i need as well, but i cannot recall the names atm. Gonna go out to the local landscaping stores for rocks, since my $10 mother/father stone was the only cool one left at the lfs.

Thanks again for the input everyone

EDIT: oyea, duh, i have a tractor supply across town