how to ship plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

how to ship plants

i would like to learn how to ship plants. i was given a couple roak plants and i would love to pay it forward to someone else. but i have no idea how to ship them or what i should to do prep them, how to package them, if i should add anything to them? or if it really is as simple as throw a wet paper towel around it and stick it in a plastic zip lock bag....
yyankeeyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (425/100%)

Which specific plants do you want to ship and what's the temperature in your town and the location where they're going?

Styrofoam-lined boxes and heat packs may be necessary, depending upon a few factors.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Which specific plants do you want to ship and what's the temperature in your town and the location where they're going?

Styrofoam-lined boxes and heat packs may be necessary, depending upon a few factors.
i live in a cold place so they would need them coming from my house! as at night it is in the 20s here. and it would prob freeze the plants. i was thinking some crypts that i have. also have some java moss that if i can't keep it tied down i might just get rid of the extra.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

To ship the plants you need some heat packs when its colder, you can probably pick some up at your LFS, as for packaging, its all up to you, i tend to ship mine in priority flat rate boxes loaded with newspaper as a cusion, the plants inside a bag with the root covered in water and as much of the rest of the plant as possible, i also tend to put in a little bit of Liquid ferts in the water in the bag to try and keep it alive as long as possible, the farthest ive shipped with this method is Alabama and no problmes were had

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
To ship the plants you need some heat packs when its colder, you can probably pick some up at your LFS, as for packaging, its all up to you, i tend to ship mine in priority flat rate boxes loaded with newspaper as a cusion, the plants inside a bag with the root covered in water and as much of the rest of the plant as possible, i also tend to put in a little bit of Liquid ferts in the water in the bag to try and keep it alive as long as possible, the farthest ive shipped with this method is Alabama and no problmes were had
thank you. i hope to have a roak posted soon. need to find a heat pack
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Heat packs shouldnt be that difficult to find, and if you dont mind me asking what do you plan to RAOK?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)

Last edited by ADJAquariums; 11-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Awful Speller X2
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

some crypts. i am not sure what kind. i have lots of babies that i would like to rehome. also have two baby broad leaf pygmy swords.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, i bet youll find a good home for them

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

i know it isn't much yet but i can always do a bigger selection when my plants get bigger/give me more babies.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

if your LFS doesn't have heat packs you can scarf some up on ebay on the cheap (I was looking into it a few weeks ago)

As others said when you ship them try to keep the roots covered with some water. I tend to wrap mosses and other stem plants in a moist paper towel to keep the moisture close to the plant and offer the plant some padding inside the ziplock baggie

Depending on how you're shipping, I'd crumple up some newspaper (cheapest) or if you have some peanuts from other members use those. I do a lot of ebay work with other things so I usually have some bubble envelopes around to fill the package with (I'm over protective I guess)

If you're going to use a heat pack make sure there's something to insulate between the pack and the plant, you don't want the plant resting directly on the heat pack through a thin layer of zip lock baggie....
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote