Silicone sealant for leaks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Silicone sealant for leaks

I'm trying to resurrect an old tank and I discovered a small leak at one of the corners...not a huge leak fortunately. But what kind of silicone sealant do you guys recommend for me to try to patch this up with? Can I get this at just a standard hardware store??
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

If it's between the panes of the glass, then a more complete / safer fix would be to separate the panes and redo that section of the tank. Most of the structural integrity of the tank, according to someone I spoke with from Aqueon is in that bead of silicone between the panes (granted, the frame helps to some degree and the interior bead helps to a lesser extent).
If it's a small tank, then you might be able to get away with just resealing the interior bead. If it's a larger tank, I would break the seam and completely fix it.
For a small tank, you can use the DAP aquarium sealant. It's sold at Home Depot around here.
For a larger tank/bigger job, you'll need a tube of silicone. Do not get the kind that has any colorant or anti-mildew added. You may even be able to find a tube of the Marineland aquarium silicone at a Petsmart if you're lucky.
ngrubich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

GE Silicone I (the type for windows) that does not have any anti-mildew will work fine as well.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote