XP3 and outflow - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Try running the Rena with empty media baskets. If the flow improves you've got the baskets packed to tight. If the flow stays the same there is another problem.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #32
snakebite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can anyone confirm if the top right hole is suppose to be plugged? It looks like that hole goes right to the rotor impeller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Here is a long shot: take the impeller out and check the metal jacket for a vertical hairline crack.
Impeller has no visual crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post
Try running the Rena with empty media baskets. If the flow improves you've got the baskets packed to tight. If the flow stays the same there is another problem.
There's another problem...

Took a basket and a half full of rocks out and still the same flow.

When I get home, I'm going to check the valve assembly(?). A member suggested to check that out. Sheesh, what could it be or is this all the power this xp3 has?
snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #33
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post

Can anyone confirm if the top right hole is suppose to be plugged? It looks like that hole goes right to the rotor impeller.

Impeller has no visual crack.

There's another problem...

Took a basket and a half full of rocks out and still the same flow.

When I get home, I'm going to check the valve assembly(?). A member suggested to check that out. Sheesh, what could it be or is this all the power this xp3 has?
I don't own an Xp but if that hole is going to the impeller than no it shouldn't be plugged

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
I don't own an Xp but if that hole is going to the impeller than no it shouldn't be plugged
Common sense, right? Well, once the plug is removed there is no water circulation coming in or out of the canister.

Thanks for chiming in mott. Can anyone with an xp verify regarding this plug?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mine has a plug in it. I've always wondered what that hole is for.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #36
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
Mine has a plug in it. I've always wondered what that hole is for.
Thanks for verifying dmagerl! Any issues with outflow pressure and what size tank are you using it on?

I'm on the edge of purchasing a new xp3 but worried that the flow might be the same as the current one I have. I can't compare this filter because I never had one before but if people are using it on 75g + I'm sure there should be plenty of flow for a 40g. The spraybar is useless, and even though I put it about 4" below the water surface the flow barely trickles the top.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mine is on a 55g and I get plenty of flow. But I should say that its an old model XP3, bought before the company was sold.

I use the spray bar about 4 inches below the surface, pointed upward and get plenty of surface agitation.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #38
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
Thanks for verifying dmagerl! Any issues with outflow pressure and what size tank are you using it on?

I'm on the edge of purchasing a new xp3 but worried that the flow might be the same as the current one I have. I can't compare this filter because I never had one before but if people are using it on 75g + I'm sure there should be plenty of flow for a 40g. The spraybar is useless, and even though I put it about 4" below the water surface the flow barely trickles the top.
Seeing how much 'built up junk' is in there, I'd say you might be getting close to replacing a impeller... or a clean up.
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #39
snakebite
Algae Grower

Took the valve assembly off and found this...

Called the lfs to get another one. I put the new one on but the results are the same. I'm pretty disappointed with the output from Rena/filstar and their XP3. It looks like I have to put an ugly powerhead in the tank just so the water circulates. I might just get another canister filter. If I use a cerge Co2 reactor, I'm sure the flow will decrease even more.

Thanks to everyone who try to assist and the members who PMed me regarding this issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.