How often to clean cannister filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
U2Kent
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How often to clean cannister filter?

I've had my Eheim 2215 up and running for just over a year now and haven't cleaned it out once. I'm thinking maybe it's getting to be time even though I don't really have any indicators that it's getting dirty. If the flow is reduced at all I wouldn't really notice, it's on an ADA 60p (18gallon) so it's probably more than enough flow for the tank.

What do you think, any advice on how frequently I should be cleaning the media? I'm assuming I'd just do a partial water change and save the water in a bucket to rinse the media bags out in, then refill w/ tank water and get it started up again? Sorry if this is a dumb question, this is my first cannister filter and I've never had to clean it yet.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
What do you think, any advice on how frequently I should be cleaning the media? I'm assuming I'd just do a partial water change and save the water in a bucket to rinse the media bags out in, then refill w/ tank water and get it started up again? Sorry if this is a dumb question, this is my first cannister filter and I've never had to clean it yet.
I clean my external canister filter like you do once every two to three months. When I don't clean my filters that often, algae tend to show up.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i only replace the white floss, i think it depends on bioload. i run 2217's 2215 and a 2211 on my tanks.

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Labayen Ramos View Post
I clean my external canister filter like you do once every two to three months. When I don't clean my filters that often, algae tend to show up.
oh seriously? maybe this would explain all of the BBA and hair algae I've been dealing with...
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (75/100%)

I replace mine once every 2-3 months
Tanman19az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman19az View Post
I replace mine once every 2-3 months
which media do you replace? I assumed you just rinsed it, should I be replacing one of the types of media? currently I only have the media that it came with in there.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Labayen Ramos View Post
Why does this happen?

Quote:
which media do you replace? I assumed you just rinsed it, should I be replacing one of the types of media? currently I only have the media that it came with in there.
You don't need to replace the bio media. Only the fine filter pad (white). You can simply rinse out the blue one and replace the carbon one (if you're using it)
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Why does this happen?

You don't need to replace the bio media. Only the fine filter pad (white). You can simply rinse out the blue one and replace the carbon one (if you're using it)
I don't have a carbon filter in there currently, what are the notable benefits of using a carbon pad?

I'm going to follow this for cleaning:
http://www.rexgrigg.com/Eheim%20Clas...structions.htm

I'm thinking I'm overdue as it's been a year. going to tear it down soon and clean it out but I think I've gotta order some replacement media first. Rex is recommending replacing half of the ehfi Substrat bio media. Is this standard practice?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

I have a Fluval 405. I have biorings in 3 baskets and pillow stuffing in the last one. That's all you need
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

No need to replace any bio media, only fine floss, as a matter of fact a lot of people back flush their classics to lengthen the time before a thorough cleaning.
Take the can to the sink and turn the input at the bottom downwards to the sink, pull the floss, pour a few gallons of tank water over the bio, replace floss, should get you a few more months of service before a thorough cleaning.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
No need to replace any bio media, only fine floss, as a matter of fact a lot of people back flush their classics to lengthen the time before a thorough cleaning.
Take the can to the sink and turn the input at the bottom downwards to the sink, pull the floss, pour a few gallons of tank water over the bio, replace floss, should get you a few more months of service before a thorough cleaning.
This sounds good, but how often should I be performing a thorough cleaning then? If I haven't done any cleaning whatsoever in a year of using this filter I'm guessing I'm overdue for a thorough cleaning and replacement of the white pad (is that the floss?)
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Evilgrin
Planted Member

I personally go in every 6 months and change out the sponge pads depending on how nasty it looks after it's cleaned out in tank water, Bio-media just gets rinsed in tank water to get off any large deposits, the Filter floss is usually at the top of the filter and that gets replaced at least once a month (or more depending on bio-load).

Filter floss is similar to quilt batting, Pillow stuffing. It kinda looks like a polyester cotton ball, it can be found at most LFS and just about every craft store I've ever been in.

I don't use carbon in my canister at all I use Chemi-Pure since it lasts for 6 months before needing to be replaced. If I need to use carbon for any reason I have a powerhead filter that I use for that purpose.
Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193599
55G Dirted Tank Journal - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195173
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
This sounds good, but how often should I be performing a thorough cleaning then? If I haven't done any cleaning whatsoever in a year of using this filter I'm guessing I'm overdue for a thorough cleaning and replacement of the white pad (is that the floss?)
I do a thorough cleaning of my filters once every 6 months or so. Then again, I have a very light bioload, so I can manage.

I would say after a year, you would require a thorough cleaning.

As mentioned already, you just really need to rinse off your biomedia and coarse filter pads. Again as mentioned, only the filter floss (the white pad) needs to be thrown out and replaced.

It is also cheaper to just buy cotton batting (make sure it does not have any flame retardants) and cut to size rather than buying the brand name filter floss.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Since all tanks are different, there is a wide range of when the filter will need cleaning. For a start on deciding, you can take a quick look on the Eheims without disconnecting anything. When it is dark, shine a bright light(LED?) on the canister side and you can often see how much grunge is building up. If it looks full, I clean it but I never get a full year on any of my tanks. 3-6 months is normal for me.
I would see no connection between filter cleaning and algae buildup. I might guess that would be due to phosphate or other nutrient or lighting problems.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

3 months for me. I have 2 canister filters (Fluval 306 and SunSun 302) and they are cleaned first and last week of the month.

I only rinse the bio media with tank water as well as the foam pads on my fluval. The SunSun has the blue filter pad (Marineland blue bonded pad) that I toss and replace with a new one. I have Purigen bags that I regenerate and replace into whichever canister is up for maintenance.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote