My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #61
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

Stick em' in and see if they grow. I've been lucky enough to bring some plants back that I couldn't even identify. My Madagascar lace is growing out of a rotten bulb that hot smashed when I was scraping. You never know, some plants put up a good fight.
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #62
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Default

The limnophila aromatica looks okay. Mine has shed a lot of the old leaves, but I have a good bit of new healthy growth. I like the assortment of plants you have. can't wait to see what you do with it all.

Sent from my HTC One S
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #63
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Sounds like you've got a busy evening Nurse those plants back to health. It makes you feel great when they pull through
Ya ain't a kiddin'! I'm done for now though. The fish go to bed at 10pm. So, I have more work to do tomorrow It's loads of fun!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #64
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Alrighty...they are floating limnophila aromatica are floating now

Last edited by Amandas tank; 11-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: plant name
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #65
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Do these look okay? The leaves are so tiny, I have tried to remove melted ones, but it seems they all are melted. ?? Help me with this group please.

I don't think you can do much else with these. I'd introduce them to your trash can

These are HM (regular baby tears) and I think you have a healthy bunch in another picture.

Last edited by OVT; 11-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: HM
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #66
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
more plant pics:
and...

AND...

AND...

AND...OVT, I trimmed these below as you described. Does it look right?


These guys all look ok for now. Remember, I put the same plants in multiple separate bags just in case this happens.

Do plant lotus as soon as you can.

The guys in the 1st and 3rd pictures are S. repens - your foreground plants. The tops look healthy and green enough. Remove the bottom damaged leaves. If you look at each plant, you will see that most of the roots are growing on one side - that's the side you want to plant, a bit at a diagonal angle. Some of them will keep floating up, you can put a little bit of substrate on the leaves to keep them down.

Looks like the plant rescue is well underway GJ, Amanda.

Am I the only one crazy enough to ship plants to Alaska in the middle of November? They all come from pretty healthy stock and I fed them extra humburgers before I sen them to you. So, the'd better recover...or...else...
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #67
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I don't think you can do much else with these. I'd introduce them to your trash can

These are HM (regular baby tears) and I think you have a healthy bunch in another picture.
This is the best bunch I put them in the tank a bit ago to let them float. I mistook them for a plant you said to float I think...oops.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #68
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
These guys all look ok for now. Remember, I put the same plants in multiple separate bags just in case this happens.

Do plant lotus as soon as you can.

The guys in the 1st and 3rd pictures are S. repens - your foreground plants. The tops look healthy and green enough. Remove the bottom damaged leaves. If you look at each plant, you will see that most of the roots are growing on one side - that's the side you want to plant, a bit at a diagonal angle. Some of them will keep floating up, you can put a little bit of substrate on the leaves to keep them down.

Looks like the plant rescue is well underway GJ, Amanda.

Am I the only one crazy enough to ship plants to Alaska in the middle of November? They all come from pretty healthy stock and I fed them extra humburgers before I sen them to you. So, the'd better recover...or...else...
HaHa! Things would have been fine if the Postal Service would have processed the package as scheduled...and since they didn't and let it sit, closed for the Holiday didn't help.
The extra hamburgers must have given them the edge they needed to survive a week a box! Thank you!!!!

I couldn't have gotten where I am in this rescue without your amazing directions! So, GJ to you

Thank you for sending these to me. I have plants now! (For the time being...if they all pull through; fingers and toes crossed!)

Oh...and Lotus has been planted for 3 hours I believe. Man did time fly!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #69
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default



I was referring to the plants on top of this picture - they seem ok, at least from what I can see.

A week in a sub-zero - still pretty amazing anything lived.

I did give them an edge. Here is a little 'trick' that might be useful to others in the future: I layer a larger biomass around the more 'important' plants, sort of like a sandwich, with the biomass closest to the outside of the box. (all plants in separate sealed bags). If the outside plants begin to rot in transit, they produce a tiny bit of heat that just might shield the plants that are closer to the middle of the box. If you have ever seen a bale of hay in the winter you should have seen the heat raising up as vapor. At least, that's the idea.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #70
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

The tank looks like a huge mess because it is!!! But, here are some pics anyway showing where I've gotten with the plants tonight.

Before adding my OVT plants!


Where I've gotten so far tonight addng OVT plants:


Don't mind the soup ladel...I needed something to spoon up the substrate to transfer to the area for the ste plants

A side view:


and the extra oxygen!

Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #71
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

Progress is looking good!
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #72
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default



The 3rd picture looks especially good to me, including the plants. And once they fill out .. watch out

It's easier to see the progress if you take pictures once in a while. Then you can look back and say WOW, did I started with THAT!?!
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #73
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Progress is looking good!
Thanks! I can't believe it's actually happening! It's been about 2 years of wishing I could get some plants in my tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post


The 3rd picture looks especially good to me, including the plants. And once they fill out .. watch out

Thank you! It's easier to see the progress if you take pictures once in a while. Then you can look back and say WOW, did I started with THAT!?!
It will be great fun to look back and see the changes. I am thoroughly enjoying this! I love the side view (third picture) and imagine it to be pretty cool once filled in There's a Kuhli loach in the stems already!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post


I was referring to the plants on top of this picture - they seem ok, at least from what I can see.

A week in a sub-zero - still pretty amazing anything lived.

I did give them an edge. Here is a little 'trick' that might be useful to others in the future: I layer a larger biomass around the more 'important' plants, sort of like a sandwich, with the biomass closest to the outside of the box. (all plants in separate sealed bags). If the outside plants begin to rot in transit, they produce a tiny bit of heat that just might shield the plants that are closer to the middle of the box. If you have ever seen a bale of hay in the winter you should have seen the heat raising up as vapor. At least, that's the idea.
Oh okay. These look okay in the water from a distance. They are the same as the picture I asked for help with, except it's close up and out of the water. They are floating. Tomorrow I will plant them. How tall do these get? So I can decide on location
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #75
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

I love this species below.


So...all this time I though I had a red tiger lotus, but now I know I was mistaken. What is this red plant below?

Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012