Green Water Woes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Steelwolve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Green Water Woes

Well im back again with another algae issue. I solved my diatom outbreak in my 29g with ottos. Very cool little guys Im glad I read about them on here. I lost one of 4 during aclimation, but he had a nipped tail fin when I got him and I didnt notice till I got home.
Now ive got a bad case of green water algae. It started a 12 days ago and has gotten worse. I cant see past 3".
So after 50% water changes every other day for the first week I slowed down to 25% every 3 days. I tried dosing tetra algae control and it didnt do anything. After reading some articles I tried calling local pet stores to rent a diatom or UV filter. No one here in Columbus rents them. But the lady at Aquarium Adventures, where I got all of my plants, said that the ONLY way to get rid of it is a UV sterilizer, which they would gladly sell me for only $160... Well I dont have an extra $160 laying around before the Holidays and need to find another solution.
Now after reading online I found a few other suggestions so, after the Tetra Algae Control (didnt work) I have the Blackout method which I am scared of because I have alot of DHG and dont want to kill it, I read it does not survive a 3 day Blackout. Or the Diatom/UV filter(too expensive right now). Beyond those does anyone else have any suggestions.
H202 maybe?? Does that work on green water?
Whats weird is I had it in my 10g dirt tank when it was first cycling and it cleared up in a couple of days with large water changes. Should I keep up with the heavy water change schedule and pray??

My 90G is green too.

Just FYI about tanks
90G 4X32WT8s in Homedepot Diamond Plate fixtures
CO2 Presurized, PFS/River gravel sub with root tabs, dosing Flourish 2X week
29G 3X23wCFLs in domes, CO2 Presurized, PFS/Caribsea Sand w/ root tabs, dosing Flourish 2Xweek
10G MGOPM capped with gravel and sand, No CO2. 1X23CFL in Dome, No Ferts

THANKS!
Steelwolve is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.