why is my amano orange? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hmmm, sounds like I don't have an amano (was thinking maybe he was sick)

Is it possible that I was sold ghost shrimp instead? These guys haven't really gone after the diatom algae in the tank like I thought they would.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 11-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: ghosts
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #17
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Amano shrimp regardless the color or manner of "cultivation" don't look like ghost shrimp. The latter tend to be transparent, maybe with faint lines, have steeply arched backs, long limbs and feelers.

Amano shrimp look more like large cherries.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
Veneer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's definitely not a Palaemonetes ghost shrimp -- the body form is clearly atyid. I'd say it's some non-Amano species of Caridina. The rostrum and cephalothorax don't seem to indicate C. thambipillai -- this is the actual name of orange/"sunkist" C. cf. propinqua -- to me. The resemblance in coloration is probably just superficial -- it seems like its dietary or otherwise environmentally induced even in C. thambipillai (captive-bred F2s are more transparent).

The muscle tissue looked a little hazy in your first pic. If it gets to be opaque, the shrimp is almost surely on the way out.
Veneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
Intelik808
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know the name of this shrimp but where I live they are called opae. Not to be mistaken with opae ula. But I do believe they might be the same Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352793520.044728.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	57021they started out clear with very slight marking then they started turning orange/redish Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352793605.863821.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	57022
Intelik808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Veneer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelik808 View Post
I don't know the name of this shrimp but where I live they are called opae. Not to be mistaken with opae ula. But I do believe they might be the same
Opae, as you probably know, is just the general Hawaiian word for shrimp. The animals in your pictures would be the Neocaridina denticulata (might now be N. heteropoda, depending on who you consult) that were introduced to Hawaii from East Asia. Same species as cherry shrimp.

I'm not that great with Asian atyids, but I don't think these are what OP has (body form reminds me more of a Caridina from the "bee shrimp" group).

At any rate, it's not uncommon for these non-target "contaminant" species to show up in shipments of Amanos, since they're all wild-collected.
Veneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

A few old pics of them. I lost all of them a few weeks back. Before I added them to the tank, they were blue, green, orange, and yellow.

Here's one that's orange. After a few days, the little guy became the same color as any other amano shrimp

This one was bluish green before turning back.

mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Rob & Veneer for confirming it's not a ghost shrimp. Amano or not, I hope it's not on its way out. There was some algae on the glass which made getting a clearer picture difficult. If it's environmental related, wouldn't the other shrimp be showing similar discoloration? Is there anything I can do?

mistahoo, I thought my Amanos looked different shades of colors when I first got them too. By the next day, two of them were out and looked clear so I thought I must have been wrong. Sorry you lost yours. Do you know why?

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Intelik808
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneer View Post
Opae, as you probably know, is just the general Hawaiian word for shrimp. The animals in your pictures would be the Neocaridina denticulata (might now be N. heteropoda, depending on who you consult) that were introduced to Hawaii from East Asia. Same species as cherry shrimp.

I'm not that great with Asian atyids, but I don't think these are what OP has (body form reminds me more of a Caridina from the "bee shrimp" group).

At any rate, it's not uncommon for these non-target "contaminant" species to show up in shipments of Amanos, since they're all wild-collected.
I don't mean to hack this post but so if it is Neocaridina denticulata that means they would interbreed with rili shrimp?
Intelik808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no clue about the coloration of them. I always thought they were only one color, but after getting those, I know they can change colors. I lost them because of my lamp... I was passed out and my lamp fell into the tank causing it to overheat. They all died and I barely saved my fish in time

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #25
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
I have no clue about the coloration of them. I always thought they were only one color, but after getting those, I know they can change colors. I lost them because of my lamp... I was passed out and my lamp fell into the tank causing it to overheat. They all died and I barely saved my fish in time

wow, I guess it's a good thing no fish/you were electrocuted.

Haven't seen the orangish shrimp since taking the pics, but he's not out often. I did find a clean, clear molt! That would be the first since getting these guys last week. I think that's a good sign that at least the parameters are doing ok...?

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

mistahoo - Those shrimp doesn't quite look like amano shrimps. Amanos have a distinct pattern dots and blotches. If they breed in your tank they are probably malawa shrimp. They could also be a different type of "algae eating shrimp". There have been a lot of mysterious "algae eating shrimp" being mixed in with amano shrimp shipments a lot this year. I've seen these shrimps a long with amano shrimp at lfs around here and they do look a lot alike. But if you look closer you can tell the difference.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

You could be correct, aznartist34, however I breed Malawas and none of mine have looked like that.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #28
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I picked up 5 adult amanos at the GSAS auction last night. They are already going to town on the algae! The one of the three shrimp I purchased earlier that I was sure was amano is following around the new amanos. He's about 1/3 of their size, so cute.

Just saw one of the bee shrimp out and cleaning on the main rock. Sweet! The new amanos must be making the others feel safer, providing some training, or both. Love these guys!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #29
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
mistahoo - Those shrimp doesn't quite look like amano shrimps. Amanos have a distinct pattern dots and blotches. If they breed in your tank they are probably malawa shrimp. They could also be a different type of "algae eating shrimp". There have been a lot of mysterious "algae eating shrimp" being mixed in with amano shrimp shipments a lot this year. I've seen these shrimps a long with amano shrimp at lfs around here and they do look a lot alike. But if you look closer you can tell the difference.
Could be. They didn't breed in my tank though. They were breeding in the guy's pond. After settling, I couldn't tell them apart from my amanos. I don't have a pic of them when settled.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #30
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I do think amanos can have slight variation to their coloring. I have had a few from one source with a blue tint and then put it in two tanks, one with lots of tannis and it turn brown and other without and it return to normal color. so i think it must be the environment and food.

I was thinking malawa too for op's pic
chunkychun is offline   Reply With Quote