My cousins fish tank...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
SsHhRrIiMmPp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My cousins fish tank...

Hello there, I just went to y cousins house and he got a fish tank that is no longer cared for so they said they would give it to me. I was kinda happy at first but after like 30 seconds of further investigation I saw that their two silver dollars had no fins at all! And they had a gourami that looks like a wild type in the same ten gallon tank! So I had to nurse them back to health once I get them later because I had no car and I had to walk like 3 blocks in the darkness, you wouldn't want to be walking in the dark with a fish tank filled with fish do you?
Anyways the java moss that was tied to the wood had white mould and algae. The tank light appears to be like it was never turned off and I just want to ask how can I nurse the fishes back to health because I got 2 ten gallon tanks while one is cycling and the other have small fish that I'm scared will get eaten. Worst of all I have a 55 gallon with a, just a flower horn that is like 5 months old.... All devoted to a singular flower horn anyways the 55 is not mines actually its my dads but I seem to be the one taking care of it. How can I nurse the fishes to health because its either throw away or I take them and I would love to keep my fishes in great condition
SsHhRrIiMmPp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

You'll need a bigger tank. Start with getting them into cleaner water. It sounds like they have fin rot, so consider treating for that if they don't start to heal up.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
SsHhRrIiMmPp
Algae Grower

Okay I moved them to a 55 gallon tank and I'm hoping they would have a new fin regrowth. I need to do something about the java moss because its full of fish flakes and mold.
SsHhRrIiMmPp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsHhRrIiMmPp View Post
Okay I moved them to a 55 gallon tank and I'm hoping they would have a new fin regrowth. I need to do something about the java moss because its full of fish flakes and mold.
It's java moss, throw it away. For the time and effort you would spend trying to save it, you could buy a basketball sized portion off the forums.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, huck the moss. The dollars should be fine with the flowerhorn (but not permanently). I'd say get something along the lines of a 40breeder and keep them in there. You could even get a few more dollars to keep them company.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Best way to fix fin rot starts with lots of clean water. Plenty of water changes, and vacuum the debris off the floor of the tank.
If they do not start improving quickly you may have to think about medicating them. Fin rot is caused by any of several bacteria. Read the labels on medications sold at the fish store and use one that includes fin rot.
Many medicines are based on dosing a 10 gallon tank. While it is not really a great size for these fish, it will be cheaper to move them back to the 10 for medication. Keep that hospital tank REALLY clean! several large fish in a 10 will get really bad very fast.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.