Combine two 55 gallon tanks... What'cha think?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
drazend
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Combine two 55 gallon tanks... What'cha think?

OK, so I have acquired 2 55 gallon tanks over the short period of time that I have had fish. I was able to get both of them (with all kinds of accessories) for super cheap. Also, please keep in mind my weekly budget is limited for fish spending :-)

Well, I keep looking at them and thinking how awesome it would be if i could combine the two in some form to make a larger play ground for my fish and inverts... I've gone through the idea of making a water bridges and the such, and while that idea is cool, i don't want to drop a whole lot of money into it as a project. If i'm going to spend money, i want it to be on plants (which i'm slowly acquiring)

So, I was talking with a buddy of mine about some of the other ideas of my combining the tanks, not really thinking they'd be possible because of water pressure and the like, and he mentions someone who has taken 12 glass panels and made a large almost square short tank using glass supports and metal brackets siliconed on for extra strength...

Well, i downloaded Google Sketchup and started mocking some things up. It will be a while before I can do ANYTHING because I have so many factors at play here, and i will have to figure out something to do with my fish while the silicone is curing. Any who, I wanted to see what you ladies and gents thought and get your 2 cents. Let me know what you think.

all will have glass supports siliconed to the top

EDIT: Ok, I've fixed my pictures so that they are hopefully clearer, again... I'm sorry for rushing and trying to get everything on one snapshot. Hopefully the below is better.

PLAN A
4' wide x 2' deep x 2' tall

PLAN B
8' wide x 1' deep x 2' tall

I also toyed around with making an L shape with them too, but haven't mocked anything up yet.

From the front

From the bottom

Last edited by drazend; 11-14-2012 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Updated pictures
drazend is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.