ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #136
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

the java fern looks great!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #137
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

that is one beastly java fern
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #138
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
finally some runners.
when i had l. mauritiana, it took a long while to really start growing, but when it did, it just grew faster and faster. you should start seeing noticeably quickening growth soon.
I certainly hope so! I have considered increasing the light intensity but I don't want to deal with algae more than I already have to, so we'll see. I think I just have to be a little more patient and keep doing what I have been doing, lol. I added the 20 Amanos that arrived today, but sadly they were all Juvies and about a 1/2 inch in size, so they've all apparently disappeared. Maybe in a week or two they will emerge fully grown?! A quick check a second ago revealed only 2! But I feel certain that the rest must be in there some where, probably hiding in the Java Fern forest, lol. I just hope that I don't lose any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
the java fern looks great!
Thanks! It arrived in excellent condition and was already pretty big. I'm just going to let it run completely wild before trimming it, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
that is one beastly java fern
That it is!

Last edited by styxx; 10-17-2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Because I can...
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #139
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Angry Wtf!?

So I wake up the day after my water change...and all my [censored] Amanos are dead (but my otos and loach are fine)...WTF?! There goes $50 down the toilet.

Last edited by styxx; 10-23-2012 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: *
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #140
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

thats a bummer poor shrimpies... do you have a heater in the tank? before I sorted my tank out with a heater I think when october hit the swing in temperatures here in the apartment caused my RCS's to stress and a couple died, stress not so much because the temp was dropping too low or anything but because it was merely changing some each day like the ambient does - constant is better for cold blooded.

Also maybe you should do some tests to the water to see if something is odd in the parameters.

Also maybe you already have all this down and it was some fluke, heh well sorry to hear about the deaths either way
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #141
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Sorry about tour shrimp. Something is def odd. They are usually super hardy. Maybe they couldn't recover from the trip? Bad stock possibly? Did you acclimate?
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #142
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
thats a bummer poor shrimpies... do you have a heater in the tank? before I sorted my tank out with a heater I think when october hit the swing in temperatures here in the apartment caused my RCS's to stress and a couple died, stress not so much because the temp was dropping too low or anything but because it was merely changing some each day like the ambient does - constant is better for cold blooded.

Also maybe you should do some tests to the water to see if something is odd in the parameters.

Also maybe you already have all this down and it was some fluke, heh well sorry to hear about the deaths either way
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Sorry about tour shrimp. Something is def odd. They are usually super hardy. Maybe they couldn't recover from the trip? Bad stock possibly? Did you acclimate?
I don't know, but just as an FYI. I will be taking a break from posting for a while....But I'll be back soon. MJ
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #143
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Enjoy your time off
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #144
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
So I wake up the day after my water change...and all my [censored] Amanos are dead (but my otos and loach are fine)...WTF?! There goes $50 down the toilet.
Hey I noticed that many of my shrimps have been dying recently as well. I would say 6 in the past 3-4 weeks. I think it is the weather change. I am going to plug my heater in tonight so it stays on 78. I totally forgot I unplugged it for the summer and now its November, it is time to turn on. I probably should have done it at least a month ago. The temps have been dropping during the evenings to 45-55 outside. When I look at temp on my filter it says 77.5 so I took it as it was fine. My fish are all fine. But, I also thought shrimps were hardy as well. I need to buy more shrimps now. I noticed a lot of hair algae growing.

FYI: No breaks from posting. I want a daily update post. :-)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #145
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have tanks with Amanos that run at 74 degrees, check your ammonia, also how old are your shrimp
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #146
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
I have tanks with Amanos that run at 74 degrees, check your ammonia, also how old are your shrimp
Not sure if your directing your question to me but im not sure how old my Amanos are. How would i find out? 74 is pretty low for fish i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #147
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Not sure if your directing your question to me but im not sure how old my Amanos are. How would i find out? 74 is pretty low for fish i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point was that the temperature was most likely not the issue, I keep Amanos in my CRS tank that run at 74 as well as thanks with fish that run at 78
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #148
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Talking Quick Update!!

Quote:
That is a valid question, but my ammonia was at zero AFAIK. The age is difficult as some where adult and some were juvies. But either way, too late to cry over spilled milk, so to speak.

Quote:
My point was that the temperature was most likely not the issue, I keep Amanos in my CRS tank that run at 74 as well as thanks with fish that run at 78
I generally keep the tank temp at 74, but I might up it slightly next time I add some more shrimp and fish. Just in case I'm buying some BioSpira from my LFS who still guards their supply in a fridge jealously, lol.

So here are two pics of my growing lilaeopsis carpet! I haven't had much time to post on TPT but I will try to get back into a regular swing of things by the end of the month/beginning of December. School is insane right now! As you can see below, the runners are really taking off and spreading like crazy. I have now increased the lighting to 100% intensity on a daily basis, though algae on the rocks has begun to creep back. Once the thickness of the carpet doubles in density, I'll probably do a trip but for now I'm just going to let it run wild. I am, unfortunately starting to have a snail issue and my one yoyo loach doesn't seem remotely interested in them at all. I'm thinking of buying a few more to help him out, as well as a few more otos.

Up close and personal:

And a dirty FTS (today is water change/maintenance day) and yes, the CO2 is on!

Last edited by styxx; 11-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #149
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

the carpet looks phenomenal. congrats.
what sp. of lileopsis is that, brasilensis or mauritiana? i like how 90% of the leaves bend the same way, probably away from the koralia (id guess they were bent by the flow while young and then the cell wall thickened in that position keeping them bent), its a cool effect.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #150
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
the carpet looks phenomenal. congrats.
what sp. of lileopsis is that, brasilensis or mauritiana? i like how 90% of the leaves bend the same way, probably away from the koralia (id guess they were bent by the flow while young and then the cell wall thickened in that position keeping them bent), its a cool effect.
The variety that I'm using is the mauritiana. I do prefer the brasilensis variety because it tends to have a slightly thicker leaf and it tends to be darker green in color; the downside of course is that it takes forever to grow into a carpet. The only reason that the lileopsis appears bent is because the pump is on, which by the way is not a Koralia but an Echo Tech MP10 (On the lagoon mode). I'm pretty happy with my progress so far, but I think the carpet needs to thicken up more before the next trim. But when you compare what the aquarium looked just a month ago to what it looks like now, I'd say it's a dramatic improvement in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000