Removing snails from plant trimmings
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
sdbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Removing snails from plant trimmings

I'm setting up a new tank and would like to transfer some plants from another aquarium that has a snail problem. I don't want any of these critters making it to the new tank. Is there anyway I can ensure the clippings won't carry any snails into the new tank? Maybe some kind of dip or solution I can wash them in to guarantee there aren't any snails or eggs left in them? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
sdbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Bleach solution 1:20 (bleach:water). Dip the plant. It would be good to have another container with water and prime so you can rinse off the plant in.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
byork
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am scared of bleach... Had a bad experience but I have heard it works well for others. I have heard of people using alum. I haven't tried that. When I had a snail problem in one of my tanks. I broke it down and washed all the plants, boiled whatever I could and replaced what I couldn't. I bought 6 large assassin sails and put a brown knife in for about 2 months. Haven't had a problem since. That's been at least a year ago.
byork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
NeonRob
Algae Grower

I just started using Alum powder, because I read about it on this site. Go to the spice isle of your local grocery store to find it. Use 1 Tbsp per gallon of water. I tested this on pond, ramshorms, & MTS and they all died in 2-3 hours. Soak plants for 2 days to kill the snail eggs. Worked well on the Crypt wendtii & Hydrocotyle 'japan' I tried. The plants seem unharmed.
NeonRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
sdbrewer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonRob View Post
I just started using Alum powder, because I read about it on this site. Go to the spice isle of your local grocery store to find it. Use 1 Tbsp per gallon of water. I tested this on pond, ramshorms, & MTS and they all died in 2-3 hours. Soak plants for 2 days to kill the snail eggs. Worked well on the Crypt wendtii & Hydrocotyle 'japan' I tried. The plants seem unharmed.
So you were able to soak the plants for 2 days without any ill effects?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
el Caspar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

alum is supposed to work really well, I don't know about a 2 day soak though lol....
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I used alum on my plants. Killed everything including a baby shrimplet even tho I shook the plants. I ended up with just one snail left over from the plants. My boyfriend ended up with none. Just use 3 tablespoons per gallon. Soak for 2 to 3 hours and all snails plus eggs will be gone. Way better than bleach. I tried that and a week later I had no plants left.
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
NeonRob
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrewer View Post
So you were able to soak the plants for 2 days without any ill effects?
Correct, for the only 2 plants that I stated that I tried. No ill effects. No snails either. I can't speak for delicate plants.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
NeonRob
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Caspar View Post
alum is supposed to work really well, I don't know about a 2 day soak though lol....
While you're sitting there being skeptical, I'm reaping the rewards. Enjoy your snails!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

NeonR..... Thanks for mentioning the alum! Never would have considered using it, but I'll give it a test run next time if I can find some in the spice section. I know there's trace amounts of alum in my baking powder.

Personally, I don't mind snails since my fish like to HUNT them.

I use potassium permanganate for oxidizing/cleaning plants of other destructive critters. I have several lbs of (KMnO4) now.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
NeonRob
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
NeonR..... Thanks for mentioning the alum! Never would have considered using it, but I'll give it a test run next time if I can find some in the spice section. I know there's trace amounts of alum in my baking powder.

Personally, I don't mind snails since my fish like to HUNT them.

I use potassium permanganate for oxidizing/cleaning plants of other destructive critters. I have several lbs of (KMnO4) now.
Not a problem. I just started using it so I wanted to share my experience with others hoping somebody else might be able to benefit from it as well. There are trace amounts of alum in baking powder, but probably not enough to be effective for this application.

You are lucky to have fish that hunt for snails. I am anti-snails with my tanks with fish that don't eat them. I love plants, so they'll probably never go away, but I can finally start setting up new snail-free tanks this way.

I've always been interested in potassium permanganate, but just never got around to ordering any up. It was so much easier to just go to the grocery store and pay $2 for a small container of Alum.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

hydrogen peroxide can be used for a dip as well.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
sdbrewer
Planted Member

Is it possible to dose Alum directly into a tank for a couple of days to exterminate an entire population, and then doing heavy water changes to remove it? Any knowledge on other inverts such as shrimp?