120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 100
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #1486
wijnands
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Still a lovely piece of wood. The colour mix is unlike anything I've ever seen. Sorry to say this but this is not traditional dutch style. It could be a very nice way to bring the Dutch style into the here and now. (I'm Dutch myself)

That red stuf in the back corner is Ludwigia "pilosa? love it!
wijnands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #1487
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Well, keep a spare aqualift pump and a repair kit handy.
I use pipe cleaners to ream the suction and use the tygon tubing so you can micro wave and clear any algae out.

Sumps are good if you minimize any loss CO2. This also includes the pre filter.
I'm adding some modifications to the prefilters coming up in the next 1-2 months.

You can also set the herbie/bean animal style set up on the over flow to reduce loss(but makes the noise go way down also). Some seal the prefilter box side also.

If the siphon loses, the tank has some amount of leeway and the sump runs dry if you set it up right. The siphon lost is gradual IME, it is something you'd catch fairly easily day to day.

If you leave for 2 weeks, maybe not.

Surface scum is just one issue, but they are much easier to clean, much higher O2, and much easier to add CO2 at a wide range of ppm's, the water evaporation lines are not an issue. All this means you can muck things up and not have nearly as many issues.
As long as it's a gradual maintenance thing and not a sudden loss of siphon I can handle that. It's still easier than taking apart a canister filter every two weeks because the flow has slowed down again.

Ideally I'd like to use one of these overflows from www.glass-holes.com, but I cannot get a straight answer as to whether my old style ADA 90-P has tempered or non-tempered sides.

I found a good deal on a used CPR CS90, Aqualifter pump and Pro Clear wet / dry so I'll try that out for now.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #1488
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wijnands View Post
Still a lovely piece of wood. The colour mix is unlike anything I've ever seen. Sorry to say this but this is not traditional dutch style. It could be a very nice way to bring the Dutch style into the here and now. (I'm Dutch myself)

That red stuf in the back corner is Ludwigia "pilosa? love it!
Very true, but no need to be sorry, this a is a long way from being Dutch (NBAT) style. That said, it is not Nature style either and used a mix of of both styles, but overall, takes more from the Dutch style with more ordered uniform groups planted more as a "garden" style.

In the rear Left side, yes, that is the L "pilosa".

Sort of a copper colored plant. A well behaved plant.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1489
rrastro
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
Ideally I'd like to use one of these overflows from www.glass-holes.com, but I cannot get a straight answer as to whether my old style ADA 90-P has tempered or non-tempered sides.
I remember reading somewhere that there is some trick taking pictures of the glass with an iphone that demonstrates whether the glass is tempered or not. Can't think of where I saw it but the search function is your friend.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1490
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As long as it's a gradual maintenance thing and not a sudden loss of siphon I can handle that. It's still easier than taking apart a canister filter every two weeks because the flow has slowed down again.

I found a good deal on a used CPR CS90, Aqualifter pump and Pro Clear wet / dry so I'll try that out for now.
Yes, it is gradual.
I'd not accept it otherwise

Flow is always constant with a sump.
I have a separate loop for the canister on client tanks or a massive oversized 100sq or larger canister. For smaller tanks, run a 250 GPH HOT magnum with micron cartridge and then a post water filter with a 50 micron or a 5 if you want to polish for a day etc.

The external built in over flow is what ADA does. Otherwise you have an ugly box inside the tank. The CPR is a trade off and at least you can move the box around or remove for a picture. The smallest CPR is suitable for the 90p.

Buy a lid with that prefilter and see if you can drill a small hole on the side or bottom and make it herbie/bean animal style and add another small drain.
Then see if you can add some weather seal on the lid to reduce cO2 loss there.

You should be set then.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #1491
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=plantbrain;2051629]

Close up of the UG recovery post Rummy nose removal:

Top Right rear corner:

The Ludwigia "pilosa"(old incorrect name) does very well for me, but only recently started to grow straighter.
I removed the H "pinnifata". Also added a Bolbitus short leaf form, will see if it stays small in the 5-6" range.

Bottom pic, the copper color plant is Ludwigia "pilosa"(incorrect species)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #1492
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)

Quote:
Well, keep a spare aqualift pump and a repair kit handy.
I use pipe cleaners to ream the suction and use the tygon tubing so you can micro wave and clear any algae out.
Which tygon tubing do you use? There's about 12 different types.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #1493
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

I'm wondering. How's the growth rate of your Syngonanthus? I have some, and it's doing well, but it grows very slowly.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #1494
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

plantbrain, really enjoying this thread. These ADA tanks are amazing. That being said, to your latest scape/pictures....WOW, one of the most pleasing I have seen. I find its a great balance between a human-influenced scape, but subtle enough to still feel like a natural setting. I could sit around and watch that tank all day if that was in my living room! For the future if you feel like changing anything I have one suggestion. I find the current scape really reminds me of the roots of a tree, perhaps that is what you are going for. if you find a peace of drift wood that is more upright with the branch coming down it would give it a great hanging "weeping-willow" type look! Keep up the great work!
DTDPlanted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #1495
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Which tygon tubing do you use? There's about 12 different types.
Food grade thicker stuff.

Thicker = better
Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #1496
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
plantbrain, really enjoying this thread. These ADA tanks are amazing. That being said, to your latest scape/pictures....WOW, one of the most pleasing I have seen. I find its a great balance between a human-influenced scape, but subtle enough to still feel like a natural setting. I could sit around and watch that tank all day if that was in my living room! For the future if you feel like changing anything I have one suggestion. I find the current scape really reminds me of the roots of a tree, perhaps that is what you are going for. if you find a peace of drift wood that is more upright with the branch coming down it would give it a great hanging "weeping-willow" type look! Keep up the great work!
It is not a "Nature aquarium", not even close.
Nor is it a Dutch aquarium.
Too much red to be called a Taiwanese aquarium.

Perhaps some hybrid but not in any one group.
I do not plan such things though, my goal was purely just strong color contrast, red/green/red, green etc. The layout was simple as well, use the wood to make planting sections for each species, the rest just falls into place.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #1497
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
I actually am more reactionary and well, it just fit the best based on what I had. Very little higher artistic thought is put into 90% of the scapes I do.

If I do that, they turn out bad

Seriously.

Someone said and asked if it was based on some dinosaur bones recently. Err.......yea, sure it was, yea.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #1498
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

How is the rotala magenta doing? I came to the conclusion that I can't grow the rotala macrandra in my tank. I don't quite know what to think as the rotala magenta became very stunted on the new growth and started to get some hair algae on it so it became compost before it spread to anything else. The rotala macrandra that I have planted twice looked really good for a few weeks then it started to melt from the bottom up. I have been thinking about a plant to put in the place of the rotala and everytime I look at your tank the Patanal stands out so that is the plant that I need to find now.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #1499
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
I actually am more reactionary and well, it just fit the best based on what I had. Very little higher artistic thought is put into 90% of the scapes I do.

If I do that, they turn out bad

Seriously.

Someone said and asked if it was based on some dinosaur bones recently. Err.......yea, sure it was, yea.

heh it is what it is, and it happens to be a great looking tank - you have some really healthy lookin plants with great colors to play off each other - great job and great tank
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1500
tcampbell
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Sure, but if the hose or intake gets clogged with a leaf etc, or a shrimp etc.......that does little to resolve it.

Simply keeping a close eye on it.

For future tanks and designs, I have another idea similar to many of the reef folks.

For a quick decent add on that can be moved around, they are pretty good though.
So if you where to do it again you would set it up like a reef tank, with an external Herbie or bean style box on the side? I am in the process of setting up a new tank (120x60X55CM) and want to go sump. Just can't figure if better sticking with the ugly box in the tank, a hand on box like yours or just having the box built to the side of the tank and then running a Herbie or bean style setup. suggestions? what size pipes and pump rate would you suggest for a tank this size - you have more experience than me.
tcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.