Dothan - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

That's awesome StraightAddicted. Keep us posted on their progress.
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Everything is looking good, wish I had a camera to take pictures of the tank. My camera phone is not a good enough quality. Hows your shrimp doing?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

So I think I've now got 7 berried females and they are starting to look much better in terms of the red being more opaque and brighter. I can't wait for babies.
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow thats quite alot of berries, hope you get a nice colony going.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

BABIES EVERYWHERE!!! Yeah more and more appear each day. I can't wait to have a horde on my hands.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #21
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats dude, you gotta post some pics of them soon, and let me know some prices lol
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
ExoticAquatics

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey I live in enterprise,AL im a breeder and seller of African Cichlids and yes im trying to start a club as well and breed ghost shrimp my female constantly has eggs
ExoticAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, I have looked at your post on craigslist inviting locals to come on down to see the shop. I wish I had my bigger tanks set up, but due to lack of space, I cannot or else I would set it back up to cichlid's.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
new fish lover
Algae Grower

anybody have MTS near the Dothan area
new fish lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #25
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

So here's a picture of some of my shrimp. There's 2 adults and several juveniles. As you can see, the Adult female has colored up nicely with age compared to the previous pic. She's berried in this photo but you can hardly tell because her abdominal segments are so solid red. The female behind her is slightly younger and you can see her saddle under her carapace. If anyone is interested in getting some let me know, I will be in the dothan area soon. I've also got a bunch of Singapore moss that needs a trim.

[IMG] P1010335 by BenderDog, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #26
Denzil
Algae Grower

Default Dothan, al

I live in dothan and i'm just getting back in the hobby after not having a tank for almost 22 years. Definitely interested in networking with other local aquarists via club or just communication thru forum. Right now i have a 75 gallon aquarium(empty) a custom stand being built for christmas although i probably won't see it completed till january. Planning on eventually going co2 route but want to start low tech at first since right now i don't have cash for outlay needed to go high tech.
Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
forddna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Hey, guys. I lived in the Tampa area most of my life and just moved to Dothan. Actually I've been here 9 months, but I've been living with family. Just fixing to close on my own house. Planning on putting up a 75g or 90g.

I know this thread was about shrimp, but I just really wanted to connect with whatever locals are in the hobby.

Where do you all buy your fish and plants?

Do any of you have equipment for sale??

54g Corner Bowfront Planted, 2x24w T5HO
220g Mixed Reef
forddna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #28
Denzil
Algae Grower

Hey Forddna. We have a few pet stores here in Dothan that sell fish and plants but you will not find much variety or quality for that matter in my opinion. I'm originally from Mobile and we use to have a great store called B&B Pet Stop that I loved and I still judge every other pet store by their standard. Unfortunately we don't have any stores here in Dothan that really cater to the planted tank community. Good luck on your tank setup.

The list of stores are as follows:

Wet Pets
Bills Pet Shop
Petsmart
Pet Supermarket

p.s. also a pet store in Enterprise I've been meaning to check out ever since I found out they are a retailer that carries Segrest Farms tropical fish which is a company based near your neck of the woods in Tampa.
Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #29
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

The list of stores are as follows:

Wet Pets - place smells like urine, and tanks aren't well maintained. But you can get a couple fish that other places don't carry ex: discus, big plecos. Has one tank that has amazon sword, banana plant, anubis.

Bills Pet Shop - Store is very outdated and not well maintained. Owners are nice elderly couple, but just don't get enough business for update store it seems. Pretty sure they don't have any plants.

Petsmart - typical petsmart... tanks are somewhat maintained, you'll see some floaters. Staff - they are somewhat knowledgeable on the fish they sell but not about any plants. Plants - marimo ball, mondo grass (not truly aquatic) and plants in the tubes, but most aren't in good shape. I'm sure you could rescue them and they would thrive under right conditions of tank.

Pet Supermarket - The best store in the area to get plants from, has the most variety and best looking. Mainly stem plants like swords, wenditi, and others. Staff - not very knowledgeable though

When I first moved down here and started my tank off, I made purchases from Wetpets - Otocinclus, Petsmart - neon tetras, Pet Supermarket - ghost shrimp, amazon sword

I was so disappointed in all the stores honestly, and wanted more than what is offered in this area, so I purchased otocinclus cocama, red cherry shrimp, and java moss from Msjinkzd. She has thread under the sponsors site here. I highly recommend her, she has great selection at great prices. She is very knowledgeable and made the experience enjoyable and truly simple.
To get more plants, I have made purchases and won RAOK's, which have given me all different types of plants to fill my tanks and made them beautiful.

Just my two cents, if you need anything feel free to PM me.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

Anyone interested in some Fire Reds? I have some to share. PM me if interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.