GCCA Swap Meet - November 11th - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

This was my first GCCA meet and my first fish show. It was pretty nice!
A bit overwhelming for a beginner like me and a non-cichild person.

One of the vendors had this really nice long metaframe that that was really cool. I also fell in love with a large royal pleco one of the vendors had.
Unfortunately, My 55 gallon tank is occupied by a 8 inch fish eating red ear slider.

Bought some great plants from John Hoerning and a pair of emporer tetras from the ChiKA table.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
This was my first GCCA meet and my first fish show. It was pretty nice!
A bit overwhelming for a beginner like me and a non-cichild person.

One of the vendors had this really nice long metaframe that that was really cool. I also fell in love with a large royal pleco one of the vendors had.
Unfortunately, My 55 gallon tank is occupied by a 8 inch fish eating red ear slider.

Bought some great plants from John Hoerning and a pair of emporer tetras from the ChiKA table.
When I went to my first Swap about a year ago, I was overwhelmed as well. I wasn't sure what to expect and it was too much to take in on my first trip.

I gotta say though, you will find a lot of good deals on everything. With it also being a cichlid group, they do have other fish than cichlids too (mostly cichlids though). Discus, corys, shrimp, rainbows, livebreeders, tetras, and bettas. Plants are scattered throughout as well. Lots of food, some tanks, filters, heaters, lights, driftwood, etc. It's a nice mixture of stuff.

GCCA usually posts a vendor list of a general idea of what people are going to be bringing as well as a layout so you can find the people easier. I'd recommend checking them out prior to the swap so you have a plan of action at least. Also, the vendors take preorders if you contact them ahead of time as well if you are looking for something in particular.

chevyguy8893, hopefully you can make it to the next one. Ton of people to meet as well as great stuff to purchase.
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

For anyone interested in breeding or setting up a tank with Cichlids, I suggest attending a GCCA auction. It's a little less of Black Friday Shopping Panic event.

You have a opportunity to preview the bagged fish (sometimes plants & equipment).

It's wise to take a notebook and write down bag numbers you are interested in after viewing. This is especially helpful if you aren't up on the scientific (latin) names of the fish as that is how they are presented by the auctioneer . However, they do use the common namers for Angel fish and Discus.

They typically run two or three segments. Sellers get different colored dot stickers fir their bags. People offer their best stuff for segment #1. Those bags tend to get the premium prices.

Bargin hunters will find near give away prices at the end of the auction.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Never attended an auction, but I might have to check it out next time to see what plants they have available. Is it normally the same stuff you'd find at the swap or harder to find stuff?
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Never attended an auction, but I might have to check it out next time to see what plants they have available. Is it normally the same stuff you'd find at the swap or harder to find stuff?
I'd guess it's the same plants you see at the Swap. I know I would not be offering any Bucephandra or C. Bullosa on an GGCA auction table so some Goober could use it for Cichlid chow.

For me the opportunity of getting F1 from wild stock cichlids to raise as potential breeders or finding a proven pair is all worth the visit.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Seemed like there was a larger variety of vendors there this time. There were definetly more plant vendors attending this meet versus last time. My wallet will prove that. Hard to pass up some of the great deals. Went home with well over 20 more plants.