Redoing the tank, help with snails...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Default Redoing the tank, help with snails...

I know this has been asked a billion times, but I've got a serious snail issue and here's what I'm thinking about doing. I have a 20 gallon tank, with around 50 orange shrimp, maybe 4 tigers, few cories, and lots of moss.

I figure the easiest and most sure fire way of killing them all is to just remove all the shrimp, dump the tank, boil the cholla/wood, and quarantine the plants to pick through at a later date. Now I don't want to shock my little shrimp too much so I assume the easiest thing to do is to put them in a new tank with their old filter/sponge and a some of their old (snail free) tank water.

My second question is once I get the main tank snail free and want to transfer them back what's the safest way to do it? Should I bucket out 5 gallons of their current tank water and just pour it back in? I hope to accomplish all this in a day so they shouldn't be in the bucket for all that long. Basically I don't want to screw up their environment too much as my tanks established and they've been breeding very well over the past few months.

Also wanted to ask about the best way to clean the plants once I get them out? Is there a certain dip that's best? Dip them soak in water, what's the dealio?

Same thing for the sponge filter and HOB filter. Figure it's best to keep them as dirty as possible for bacteria so is it best to just pick through those the best I can?

Any advice would be appreciated. The snails are the bane of my existence... I really hate the little buggers lol. Probably picked 40 out in the past month and it hasn't made a dent.. new ones every day it seems.
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plants, shrimp tank, snails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.