African Clawed Frog Planted...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
DaBears
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

African Clawed Frog Planted...

Hey, posted this in general but was hoping id get more opinions here about what I am planning on doing for a low-tech african clawed frog planted nano tank. Let me know what you think.

Hey everyone. I am planning a planted nano tank for my African clawed frog and stumbled upon this:

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...escription-tab

What do you think?
My plan was to stock:
1 African Clawed Frog
1-2 Snails
Various low-med light plants.

The tank is 6.6 gallons, acrylic, comes with a HOB filter, 15w fluorescent (that's the only detail it gives on the light). Seems like all I'd need is a heater. I'll also grab some driftwood and was thinking seachem fluorite for a substrate. I would use seachem prime with tap water for water changes, etc. Also, dose seachem fluorish as necessary once I start getting lots of plants. What do u guys think? This would be my first planted tank, so any advice would be great! Anything you'd recommend, and do u think this would be a good tank for what I want to do? Only $39 too! Thanks.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry but that page link just isn't working. Site says it can't find it.
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
QQQUUUUAADDD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

African Clawed Frogs grow much too big for only a 6.6 gallon tank.
QQQUUUUAADDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
DaBears
Algae Grower

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...-Aquarium.aspx

That work?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Yes, I think that one clawed frog, or 3-4 smaller Dwarf African fogs would be nice there. Along with a couple Nerite's or similar sized snails.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
QQQUUUUAADDD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

No, african clawed frogs can grow up to 5 inches. Don't think that could fit in a 6.6 gallon tank.

2 african dwarf frogs would work nicely though.
QQQUUUUAADDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Females only get to 5",

and like most frogs if the environment is kept tidy with very good filtration you can expect that size even in tanks like this 6.6.

I've kept single females in 5 gallon normal tanks and they reached full growth and lived quite a long life, so yes they can, and will do just fine.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawed.html
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
DaBears
Algae Grower

I already have the frog, and he is a male, so he's only gonna get 3-3.5". Since this tank is 23" and he is gonna be the only inhabitant plus a snail or two and a bunch of plants I figured it'd be ok. U guys think the light will be good for a low-tech tank? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I already have the frog, and he is a male, so he's only gonna get 3-3.5". Since this tank is 23" and he is gonna be the only inhabitant plus a snail or two and a bunch of plants I figured it'd be ok. U guys think the light will be good for a low-tech tank? Thanks.

The light is pretty dim but low light enduring plants will probably be ok. I think the frog will simply uproot them when moving around, so plants like Java Moss or Fern attached to wood or stones would be best. Maybe invest in a better light if the plants are really what you are wanting to see grow better.

I used a CFL type system with a bulb in the 5500k range to keep plants in the 5 gal.

More importantly is the quality of filtration. Larger, with good water circulation is better. I had an adjustable flow canister filter at the time so I could adjust flow for my needs. Something that turns the water over 5-10 times an hour will be sufficient, and yes water changes would be 50% or more at least once a week.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Acro
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Most good frog sources will say that a ACF should be kept in a 10 gallon.

This link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imi Statue View Post
Talks about the Grow-A-Frog kits that are hardly proper housing for a ACF.

Can a ACF live in a 6 gallon tank? Sure. Can a human live in a closet? Sure. Would either be happy? Not likely.

Please do more research! There are many wonderful frog forums out there and many ACF care sheets and books. Please find them and read up!

Good Luck.
Acro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
DaBears
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
Most good frog sources will say that a ACF should be kept in a 10 gallon.

This link:

Talks about the Grow-A-Frog kits that are hardly proper housing for a ACF.

Can a ACF live in a 6 gallon tank? Sure. Can a human live in a closet? Sure. Would either be happy? Not likely.

Please do more research! There are many wonderful frog forums out there and many ACF care sheets and books. Please find them and read up!

Good Luck.
This tank is actually going to be longer than a 10 gallon. I realize it is not 100% ideal but based on what I've seen/read I think he will be fine. Comparing a human living in a closet vs the entire world is hardly a good comparison for a 7 gallon tank vs a 10 gallon tank haha.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
This tank is actually going to be longer than a 10 gallon. I realize it is not 100% ideal but based on what I've seen/read I think he will be fine. Comparing a human living in a closet vs the entire world is hardly a good comparison for a 7 gallon tank vs a 10 gallon tank haha.
Agreed.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Getting into the ethical part of the hobby. Is a frog really happy in a tank regardless of size? Maybe he is happy because he is not going to get eaten or maybe he just does not have a point of comparison. I really don't know, but 10 sounds better than 6, it's near 100% larger and I know if my closet was almost double it's size I would be a bit more comfortable. Keep that frog happy
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Getting into the ethical part of the hobby. Is a frog really happy in a tank regardless of size? Maybe he is happy because he is not going to get eaten or maybe he just does not have a point of comparison. I really don't know, but 10 sounds better than 6, it's near 100% larger and I know if my closet was almost double it's size I would be a bit more comfortable. Keep that frog happy
Why are you going there? It has nothing to do with "Ethics"! You people would love to put more cost and larger quarters for the frog when it just isn't necessary. Frogs don't have the same requirements as Humans or Fish. They do not need as much room period.

The Frog will be just as happy in 6.6 gallons as 10! I've seen Pac-Man frogs live in their entire life and grow to 8" across in a standard 5 gallon bucket.

Imi
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #15
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

It has nothing to do with cost, I bet that pac man frog living in a bucket was very happy. Come on man! You people? What does that mean? Do what ever you want to do with your pets. However, expect opinions, and people disagreeing with you when post your opinion. Nothing you have said about frogs is a fact period. You people!!
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.