BBA ever present - what am I missing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default BBA ever present - what am I missing?

Some may or may not know the troubles I've had with BBA over the years.

I recently (about 2.5 months ago) got my tank set back up after moving. I bought all new substrate (Fluval Stratum), with a new hardscape, and ordered some plants from AP.com. My light (4xT5HO) is up high, like 14-15" above the water line on a 75g tank. I'm running 2x for 2 hours, 4x for 4 hours and 2x for another 2 hours.

My CO2 turns on 2 hours ahead of my lights to start building up before they kick on and kicks off 1 hour before lights out. I can't give you a bubble rate, its way too fast to count.

I'm dosing EI with M/W/F - 5/8tsp KNO3, 3/8tsp K2SO4 and T/Th - 3/8 CSM+B, 3/8 KH2PO4

So to my knowledge this is doing everything properly. So why am I having a constant battle with BBA? I feel like my CO2 is up to the level of almost wasteful considering my Cerges reactor can be up to 1/2 full of built up CO2 when I get home from work. It simply can't diffuse any faster. Do I need to adjust my EI mix? I don't want to cut the light too much because a couple plant species really don't respond well to lower light (glosso, limno, blyxa).

Any ideas? I've tried dosing Excel before, and short of draining the water down so I can pour it directly on the BBA, I've found it ineffective even when double dosing for 2+ weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.