Does one of my neon tetras hav ich?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does one of my neon tetras hav ich?

I noticed yesterday that one of my neon tetras appears to have ich. He has white-colored growths on his tail fin, dorsal fine and anal fin. He swims somewhat erraticaly. The other neons swim smoothly through the water, this guy swims in a very "twitching" way. It's like he's having trouble maintaining his position. He has been eating normally. The other neons and all of the other fish in the tank are not affected.

What should I do? What will treating for ich due to my other tank inhabitants (fish and snails, see my signature).
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
CatSoup
Planted Member

That's a lot of fish for a 29 gallon. How often do you water change? I recommend 25% weekly. A bigger tank if possible. If it's ick you'll have to treat the whole tank. Raise the temp to 80-82 degrees and add aquarium salt. Since you have catfish, use half of what the box says. Do daily water changes for one week, then wait a few days, repeat process. Ick is caused by poor water quality. Probably from being overstocked in this case.
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
CatSoup
Planted Member

In fact I would remove the affected fish to a quarantine tank and give them full salt doses along with higher temps as well. That way you main tank can be treated, and your affected fish can be cured quicker.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I'll have to pickup a quarantine tank, filter and heater and put the fish in there. I do 25% water changes each week. I'll have to start making it like 50%.

Would getting some Purigen help cut down the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates? Would that help?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: I am doing a 50% water change and cleanec my filter. It was disgusting! The filter pads were completely covered with black crud so I threw them out. I figure that was making the water unclean. I added two new filter pads. I kept the rest of the filter media (ceramic bio-beads).
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
CatSoup
Planted Member

Ah, I bet that's what caused it! You should probably check your local Craigslist for tanks too. I know it's irritating to be told you're over stalked. I found out I was this same way. Now I have a 55, 46, 20 gallon, and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. lol
This site's fish profiles is the most accurate I've seen as far as letting you know how much space your fish will need by species.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/
Once a couple of mine reach max size, I'll probably have to just re-home them.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you. The fish died today. I learned my lesson. I talked to a guy at the LFS (I got all of my fish there) and he said that the fish mostly died of a bacterial infection since all of the other fish were unaffected. I brought in a water sample, and he said it was perfect. I think I will setup a smaller backup tank and keep it in my bedroom. I could remove some of the other neons and keep them in a species-only tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.