Planted Discus - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #196
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think your fish have mental issues lol what other fish are in the tank?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #197
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Apistogramma barlowi and nannacara I can't remember the exact species but I recognize the name.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #198
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I know the fish your talking about. Well Im going to take a guess that the size of your tank and the lack of large open swimming fish has put the rasboras at ease.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #199
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah the apistos stick to themselves in their hiding spots.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #200
bif24701
Algae Grower

Off topic, here is a video of my mixed reef tank. Quality isn't great however.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...n/5f595baa.mp4

36g planted, 24w X4 T5 HO Aquaticlife
Fluval 305, AC 70, working on CO2
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #201
bif24701
Algae Grower

No comment on my reef?

5+ Aquariums
Reef, Planted, African Chiclids, soon to be: Discus

Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #202
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuereth View Post
The daily water changes are not about water quality but removing the growth inhibiting hormone discus naturally secrete to ensure they don't outgrow their environment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Although I have no proof, I too agree with the pheromone theory regarding discus stunted growth. I don't do many water changes on my 90, full of angel fish and one rescue discus. The angels started out smaller than him, he has remained roughly the same size while the angels have surpassed him...
Does anyone have proof (can you cite a peer-reviewed research article published in a scientific journal) identifying a metabolic substance other than nitrogenous wastes (which can in fact be handled by big filters and plants), in any fish species, that do not naturally break down in the aquarium over time, and not only limit the growth of conspecifics or other species but even limit the growth of he who dealt it, like Daxi's sole discus? I've never heard of such a growth-inhibiting factor (not that I know everything!). If it does exist, it must be organic; can't it then be captured by carbon or destroyed by ozone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuereth View Post
I don't care if you're growing an acre of hydroponic vegetables with a discus tank, and your Nitrates are 0 ppm always. You still need to do water changes.
This is disturbing! To me anyway. I would like to keep discus, but I live in the country on a cistern that is supplied by periodic rains. I simply cannot do massive daily water changes. I can probably get away with 33%/week. I was hoping I could address all issues of nitrogenous wastes through large volume, low-stocking density, robust biofiltration, and a nitrate-scrubbing plant sump(55-gal under a 120). But if these mysterious metabolites really do exist, maybe I have lost before I've even begun. I really hope that this is just unsubstantiated mysticism and that no one comes back with concrete evidence otherwise!
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #203
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep discus however you want, theyll live but they won't be so pretty. It depends on your preference on what you want the fish to look like.

I doubt there is any sort of research papers discussing this, but there are plenty of threads on simplydiscus where it is talked about by experts with years of experience.

Poke around there for a while and see how it feels for you
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #204
bif24701
Algae Grower

I do know that sturgeon raised in captivity do produce a metabolite that is toxic to them and specific to these fish. A specific bacteria has been developed to consume it and they add molasses for the bacteria to help metabolize it. Only reason such research and care is taken on these fish is there value. Discus grow in flowing water so it's imposable for anything to build up. Though its only theory I can see that it's very plausible.

120 gallon mixed reef, 55, 36, and 10g Planted, 29g African rift lake chiclids..

Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #205
Alleysaurus

Smile

I just joined this forum because of this thread
I would like to thank everyone who has posted!
I have been looking into turning my acrylic 60G aquarium into a discus tank for months now and finally started the process. I must say, out of every where I have looked online with information on discus, this thread has been the single most useful tool I have found! ESPECIALLY since I am dead set on having plants in my aquarium. This thread, so far, has really helped shape my understanding of discus, what to expect my maintenance requirements to be, and just how important the different aspects of their care is. I haven't finished reading through the whole thing yet, but I'm sure I will have a few questions once I have!

Thanks again everyone! I was getting worried I would never find a good 'one stop' for information on the new fishies I plan to be obtaining in the near future.
Alleysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #206
Alleysaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Off topic, here is a video of my mixed reef tank. Quality isn't great however.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...n/5f595baa.mp4
Beautiful Tank! Looks like endless hours of excitement to watch If I had a tank like that I think I would never ever watch tv again!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #207
Alleysaurus

Okay, finally finished the thread lol
So I would like to start by saying that I fully intend on making this tank an environment that these fish will thrive best and want to spawn in. I plan on buying a tank or two to use for growing fry out once I get the hang of discus keeping. I would also, as long as their is nothing to oppose this being a good idea in any way, like to make this tank so I can also keep and spawn bristle nose plecos. (I wanted imperial zebra plecos, but they are simply too expensive for me at this time and I have read that sometimes they try to feed on the discus' slime coating. I figure they would be better to wait probably at least a year for with this in mind.)

I DO have a few questions.
Firstly, I am nervous about choosing a potting soil to put in pots for plants, so if anyone could direct me to a specific one known to be safe for aquarium use it would be greatly appreciated. What I've read has persuaded me to not even start the addition of plants for a good few months at least, but for future reference.

Secondly, what kind of lighting would everyone recommend for discus? I believe what I currently have is two Zoomed Flora Sun bulbs in two hoods over my tank. I would like it to be sufficient for the future plants to be added, but I mostly just want whatever will make their colors "pop" the most.

Thirdly, I have the API freshwater master test kit that tests pH, nitrates, ammonia, and nitrite, but not hardness of the water. What additional test kits, if any, do I need and what would be the ideal values for those tests?

Lastly, I know the answer to this question will most definitely be a resounding "no" from everyone in the fish community, but I have this green terror who I and my fiance love who we have thus far grown to 4" or 5" from about 1 1/2". He doesn't get along with any other kind of aggressive fish (I have tried quite a few and he either took their territory or attempted to die trying to keep his territory), but I have had him with two angels for months and he never shows any signs of aggression towards them and even shares food with them. It's so cute. No go on keeping him with the discus? There's no way I'll be able to get another tank large enough for him to be happy in, I just hate re-homing a fish I have come to love so much.

Well thank you everyone,
and if I'm imposing on your thread, bif, just let me know and I'll take it somewhere else. I just thought I mine as well post here since it seems all the pros are posting on this one
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #208
bif24701
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleysaurus View Post
Okay, finally finished the thread lol
So I would like to start by saying that I fully intend on making this tank an environment that these fish will thrive best and want to spawn in. I plan on buying a tank or two to use for growing fry out once I get the hang of discus keeping. I would also, as long as their is nothing to oppose this being a good idea in any way, like to make this tank so I can also keep and spawn bristle nose plecos. (I wanted imperial zebra plecos, but they are simply too expensive for me at this time and I have read that sometimes they try to feed on the discus' slime coating. I figure they would be better to wait probably at least a year for with this in mind.)

I DO have a few questions.
Firstly, I am nervous about choosing a potting soil to put in pots for plants, so if anyone could direct me to a specific one known to be safe for aquarium use it would be greatly appreciated. What I've read has persuaded me to not even start the addition of plants for a good few months at least, but for future reference.

Secondly, what kind of lighting would everyone recommend for discus? I believe what I currently have is two Zoomed Flora Sun bulbs in two hoods over my tank. I would like it to be sufficient for the future plants to be added, but I mostly just want whatever will make their colors "pop" the most.

Thirdly, I have the API freshwater master test kit that tests pH, nitrates, ammonia, and nitrite, but not hardness of the water. What additional test kits, if any, do I need and what would be the ideal values for those tests?

Lastly, I know the answer to this question will most definitely be a resounding "no" from everyone in the fish community, but I have this green terror who I and my fiance love who we have thus far grown to 4" or 5" from about 1 1/2". He doesn't get along with any other kind of aggressive fish (I have tried quite a few and he either took their territory or attempted to die trying to keep his territory), but I have had him with two angels for months and he never shows any signs of aggression towards them and even shares food with them. It's so cute. No go on keeping him with the discus? There's no way I'll be able to get another tank large enough for him to be happy in, I just hate re-homing a fish I have come to love so much.

Well thank you everyone,
and if I'm imposing on your thread, bif, just let me know and I'll take it somewhere else. I just thought I mine as well post here since it seems all the pros are posting on this one
Welcome to our community! Thank you for your complements on my reef it was my love and I looked at it every day for hours if I could. Unfortunately I had to convert it to a African rift lake chiclid tank because I am going to Korea for a year without my family then we all move to Germany in Feb 2014. I'm in the Air Force this assignment comes up in a career once or twice. My wife would t be able to spend as much time as I did maintaining the tank. So we put her. 20 fish from a 40 breeder in the 120, looks nice but a real down grade from my reef. I'm still hurt over the whole thing.

Also thanks for what you said about the thread. It's was because so many took time to answer my questions and discuss the topic with me. It's because of them it turned out so well. I'm glad that's it's helped you so much!

Question one: I use miracle grow organic opting soil.

Second: what is the tank depth? Mine is 24" so I use 2x T5HO 48" and its plenty for medium light plants and no CO2. Sounds like you have T12 (old tech and not great for growing plants IMHO). Those bulbs are garbage too. Get high quality bulbs and a better fixture is my recommendatio.

3: Your green terror sounds like a green puffer. And they should be kept in salt water on e they are grown. No is the answer. Find him another home or build one.

Please ask your questions here i have no problem with that or with anyone posting repliesi u/answers.

120 gallon mixed reef, 55, 36, and 10g Planted, 29g African rift lake chiclids..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #209
Alleysaurus

Thank you bif!

I believe my tank is about 24" in depth. I will definitely be looking into upgrades. If you have any suggestions for a particular brand for bulbs/fixture that would be much appreciated.

Also, I meant a green terror cichlid. They are a south american cichlid, which is why I ventured to keep him with angels. Everywhere I read online says they are too aggressive to be with angel fish, which is why I would think they aren't okay to be with discus. However, mine seems to get stressed any time he's kept with aggressive fish. Ever since I got rid of all my other cichlids and just kept him with my angels, he seems happier than ever and never shows any signs of aggression towards anyone.
2 russian tortoises (genbu & soarah)
and
1 red eared slider (squirtle)
building my zoo slowly but surely :P
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #210
Will72

I am running planted discus tank (55 gal) for over a year now. I have no problems with it at all, all I do is weekly water changes (approx. 60%).

Here is the pic: http://www.imageba.se/q
Will72 is offline   Reply With Quote