Loach Suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Loach Suggestions

LFS got several Zebra loaches in, I was thinking about buying a few for my tank, what everyone thoughts on these?? They stay much smaller than the clown loach, or will they still cause problem with my plants

Thanks
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

It depends on the loach and on the plants. Loach like to play, zip around, dig. Any newly planted plants will get uprooted. Some loaches will punch holes in broad leaves but it's not permanent.

I have plants with my loaches but be prepare to do weekly replanting. Deeps rooter like crypts and such seems to work fine.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zebras are well behaved small Loaches. They will eat shrimp. They are social, so will be happier in a group of about half a dozen. They are not such great diggers, but this can vary. I would sure go for these guys as a very good choice for tanks of at least 29 gallons. They are fish friendly. I had them with a breeding colony of Endlers. Maybe they ate a baby Endler from time to time, but the Endler colony kept growing, so if a few babies disappeared I never noticed. They definitely ate all the cherry shrimp, though. They are good pond snail predators, and I think they ate some MTS. There were still a lot of MTS in that tank when I redid it, though, so the Zebra Loaches did not get rid of all of them. There were empty shells on the surface, so I am sure the Loaches ate some of the MTS.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
jshaffer740
Algae Grower

Not sure if they are similar, but I have a trio of Yo-Yo Loaches that I think are great. They seem to have a lot of personality. They definitely like to "root" around in the substrate, but I have not seen any uprooted plants, or holes in any leaves as of yet. I definitely have enjoyed mine.
jshaffer740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

the zebra loach (striata) is awesome i have in 5 in my 29 gallon. they will nip a few plants OCCAISIONALLY. its rare but does happen if they are hungry, but overall, very playful and fun fish

they do stay small
Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Yoyos are not the same. They get about twice as long as Zebras, are very much burrowing, and are predatory. A young Yoyo (4" long) can eat an adult Neon Tetra.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks everyone for the advise, I picked up 6 at LFS tonight, and they will be in my Qtank for a few weeks. Looking forward to see them in my main tank.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.