Expected growth rate of Echindorus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-10-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
patchy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Expected growth rate of Echindorus

I think it's a pretty ambiguous question because there are so many variables such as substrat fert, water column fert, light intensity, light duration.... But right now my swords grow pretty slowly (with the exception on my chain swords).

Marble sword is doing really bad struggling to get 1 new leaf every week, the anubias is growing faster!

Ozelots, red specials and a particular board-leaf grow a 1 or 2 leaves per week. However they dont grow very high at all.

My other board-leaf variaties do well with 2 or 3 strong tall leaves every week.

Chain swords are growing like crazy, sending runners in all directions. I've given up counting new leaves cause theres so much new growth .

If it helps I've got laterite balls under each plant (dupla-rit K) and fert tabs (hydrogrow). I did use some Red sea liquid ferts but i'm trying to wean off them as they are costly. 1.3w/gal 12 hours a day, 380L tank, 1-2mm gravel up to 10-15cm deep at the back.... 10ppm Nitrate, 1ppm PO4, .5ppm Fe.
Val and star rotola are growing well, sending runners and propagating well. however Bacoba is covered in algae and is not doing well...

the thing thats worrying me the most is the plants that arnt growing BIG. They are swords arnt they (echinodorus) arnt they known to be big plants and in some cases tank busters? (with the exception of pygmy and chain swords)

How are your swords going? how do they do under optimal conditions?
patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hey patchy! Welcome to Planted Tank!

We need more information to help come to a conclusion.

Lighting?
CO2?
Fertilizers?
Water parameters?

These things are going to give us the information we are going to need to help you figure out what is going on.

Mike
Old 12-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
patchy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i did meation them...didnt i?

Quote:
If it helps I've got laterite balls under each plant (dupla-rit K) and fert tabs (hydrogrow aka aquasonic). I did use some Red sea liquid ferts but i'm trying to wean off them as they are costly. 1.3w/gal 12 hours a day, 380L tank, 1-2mm gravel up to 10-15cm deep at the back.... 10ppm Nitrate, 1ppm PO4, .5ppm Fe.
Co2 is in the 'optimal' green colour, beats me what ppm that is. The tank also gets some sunlight in the morning.

i pushed the laterite balls deeper into the roots and in some cases crushed them abit to aid in root contact.
patchy is offline   Reply With Quote