Introduction and my fluval SPEC V
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
edjonaso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Introduction and my fluval SPEC V

Hi everyone,

First of all, i'd like to introduce myself. I just got into this hobby about a month ago following my dad's step. I just got my diploma in graphic design last year, and I'm currently taking Independent Illustration program which is interesting and crazy at the same time. I've also been keeping reptiles for a couple of years now.

I saw this tank at a local pet shop, and i finally gave in because i thought the size is perfect for work desk. I got some java moss from the same place (really bad moss), fluval stratum and malaysian driftwoods.

I wasn't happy with my first setup and decided to rescape it after just a week. This time i visited a dedicated aquascaping store (aqua inspiration, Toronto) and i got some plants, ohko stones, and netlea aquasoil and I'm quite happy with my second setup. I didn't really put much thought into my layout, i was basically just going for hardscape/iwagumi kind of style, and i didn't want to spend too much time researching reference for specific layout. So i was basically just improvising a bit

It's been going for about 3 weeks now and last week i put in two amano shrimps. One of them decided to jump out and i found it near my apartment front door, the other one seem to be doing ok, but i don't see it out that often.

After a lot of thinking, i've also decided to make this a semi high-tech tank because my plan of getting a second tank is not doable with the current workload. My finnex fugeray arrived two days ago and I'm very happy with it
so far.My atomic paintball CO2 regulator from GLA is also on it's way.

I also need help IDing the plants, because i was being stupid and wrote down the names on the receipt when i was at the store, and accidentally threw it away so yeah...

Some pictures:

First setup

Second setup

Need help IDing these plants

Thanks for looking!
edjonaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Ebi
Aquatic RASTA Farmer

PTrader: (145/100%)

2. is definitely mini pellia! nice scape
Ebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
edjonaso
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
2. is definitely mini pellia! nice scape
Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

The rescape definitely worked - love the rocks

Good luck with the tank
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
edjonaso
Algae Grower

Goodies have arrived! will post update in the next couple of days once the system is running. The atomic V2 regulator is heavier than i thought, but thats a good thing

I added just a little bit of ludwigia brevipes to the back of the tank near the pearl weed, hopefully it'll grow. I also got 4 more amano shrimps, these guys seem a lot healthier than my previous ones, they cleaned up the leaves of my anubias in just one night, they're all green and shiny now

cheers
Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

how did you attach your mini pellia ? looks really nice. Got a ancient feel. LOL

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

great start
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
chou
Planted Member

is that the stock light for the spec v?
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
edjonaso
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
how did you attach your mini pellia ? looks really nice. Got a ancient feel. LOL
I just stuck the mini pellia to the stones without anything, due to the shape and surface of the stones, it's quite easy to push the mini pellia into the tiny holes on the stones and it'll stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
great start
thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chou View Post
is that the stock light for the spec v?
it's not, that's a 16" Finnex Fugeray.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Naisi
Algae Grower

Great tank, I just got one myself and have been all over the internet looking for a light upgrade. You say your's will put you in the semi-high light range? And do you think it will have the power for a HC carpet? With co2 and ferts of course.
Naisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
edjonaso
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisi View Post
Great tank, I just got one myself and have been all over the internet looking for a light upgrade. You say your's will put you in the semi-high light range? And do you think it will have the power for a HC carpet? With co2 and ferts of course.

I'd say mine is probably around medium light range, i did say this tank is semi high tech because i end up adding pressurized CO2 system.

before i went with fugeray, i was actually considering of getting 16" Finnex Ray II instead, but it seems like the light is a bit too much for me. My intention is to make this tank a low-medium light setup, with CO2 supplement, nothing too crazy yet, as this is my first tank after all.

I have no experience with carpet plant yet, but i do know if you go Ray II with a spec V you should be able to grow anything, just be ready to deal with the algae as well

these posts might help

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=Ray

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=led

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944

cheers
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

the rock scape is real nice... im assuming the ohko stone was used, looks good for color contrast with the dark aquasoil, only thing I was thinking is a bit more sloping in the aquasoil could look good

but yeah great spec v - I have one but it is very lowtech however I have been able to sustain low demanding plants tho it would be sweet to have co2 at my disposal
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote