Beginner Planted Tank.. A few questions pls!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Lovemybetta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Beginner Planted Tank.. A few questions pls!

Hi Everyone!

I bought the first fish tank I have had in a long time. I purchased the 2.5 g mini betta aquarium, and the tank is ok. Works alright, and my betta seems to be doing well (purchased whole set up two weeks ago).

I made the mistake of buying the fish and tank without actually researching anything, and of course, the sales person in the petsmart encouraged me to do exactly the opposite of what I should have done. Throw the fish in 5 min after I started the filter! no mention of cycling, and the my favorite, I should only change the water about once in 4 months!

Anyway, I have been doing some research and I am very interested in setting a low tech, non co2 planted tank - probably in a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium. I have been reading so much information, including that fellow sudeep and his excellent step by step instructions. I love the way they look, but have a few questions.

Can I do a DSM with non co2?

I have read so much about subtrate... What should i be using exactly?

Can i purchase used equipment and if so, how should I make sure they are clean and ready to support the plants and fish (Sherman, my betta will surely love this set up!)

Any advice? I am excited to have such a cool project to work on, and would love to have a little advice from someone. I have read quite a few articles, and researched Tom Barr and his commentary on this, but I am still a little confused.

Thank all!
Lovemybetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, low tech, non co2, planted tank