General Chat - Talk about anything! - Page 67
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #991
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com.au/dosing-techniques/

Going to make blackwater, too.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #992
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

I read somewhere that higher kh was seen to attribute to fin curling.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #993
Heartnet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowKitty49 View Post
Well, there was a giant thermometer in the side to at least keep a tiny bit open for air. [=

Apparently it's a problem older gerbils have?

Though my guy (getting old but that's not why) has some malformed teeth bone thing so he will need the teeth trimmings for the rest of his life. Only one tooth on the bottom and one on top actually grow in, but it's impossible for him to grind them down himself since they're on opposite sides. )= Poor Toki.

He sat in his food bowl and sulked when we got home. He was not happy with me. :<

Something like this.

Global warming... and then I was going to launch into global warming lyrics but it's not quite appropriate as it's cold and not hot. But "we'll build a fridge and it'll be so big we'll keep it on Mars." ^_____^
I had trouble trimming the dog's nails as it is. Can't imagine teeth on a little gerbil. haha I can almost imagine in his mind "no food, no love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Associated with the use of IAL? Doesn't the blackwater conditions that IAL create cause acidification? I would have thought it would have created a lower kh.
Heartnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #994
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Oh I will investigate that. My blackwater is stewing in the kitchen. I did a 100% wc on her QT.

She's still grey looking. *verge of tears*. I am such a wussy.

I have just washed out her home tank well with dechlor, taken out all the plants (should I throw them away in case they have residual bacteria on them? I cd put them in my shrimp tank -- they have algae on them), rinsed out her gravel with dechlor.

Added various useful bacteria:

Dr. Tim's H2O Pure
Stability
Microbe lift Special Blend, Nite Out, Thera P

I think I needed to do 100% water changes, once a week, not just 25% every other day or so and my baby suffered for it.

She didn't have enough plants to handle the ammonia compared to the other tank.

Am getting a 1 g QT tank so dosing will be easier and she'll have more room.

Going to yoga now.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #995
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have heard that with crowntails. My TDS is 147 out of the tap and my kH/gH are 40 and 60.

Or maybe I mixed up the kh/gH.

Bc if the salt my TDS meter win't give A Reading in her QT.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #996
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Happens with veiltails too :O
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #997
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Oh man, I'm bummed.......
I nabbed a crayfish from work the other day (came from the feeder tank) ..it was super voracious, active...I put in worms yesterday and it would actually come take it from me. Kept it with the marmorkreb I got from the auction..all seemed okay..they didn't really interact.....
Found her dead (quite ripped apart and eaten) body today.................. I feel so bad! I didnt know he would do that uuuuuugh crayfishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well her babies are still alive... and... that extra baby that came with her is still growing. But still man...
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #998
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
I nabbed a crayfish from work the other day (came from the feeder tank) ..it was super voracious, active...I put in worms yesterday and it would actually come take it from me. Kept it with the marmorkreb I got from the auction..all seemed okay..they didn't really interact.....
Found her dead (quite ripped apart and eaten) body today.................. I feel so bad! I didnt know he would do that uuuuuugh crayfishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well her babies are still alive... and... that extra baby that came with her is still growing. But still man...
I feel your pain.

For the past few months, I just keep losing shrimps constantly...now it's painful and slow because it's like 1-2 a day. It just slowly happens.

I lost 200 CRS in the summer...that happened in 2 weeks. Probably the heat.
12 blue rilis because i'm ignorant thinking shrimps will handle co2 even though they can't
20 pumpkin neo in a new tank, finally with no co2 but still dying...then found it was ferts. ugh

so now, I stopped ferts and co2, and I still lost another 12, only to realize maybe it's my flouish root tabs. i took them out, dumped all the substrate with all the root tabs, cleaned out the tank....discarded the dwarf hairgrass which needs all of the above and replaced it with dwarf sag which will be fine all by it self.

So this morning, I'm down to 10...lost another 2.

There is only one more explanation, the Evolve 4 tank that acitydweller sold me is jinxed. LOL

Keep in mind that i have another similar setup with shrimps in as well, with root tabs and excel added and they are fine. It's the tank!

10 more to go and then I'm done with shrimps and with on with pea puffers.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #999
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
I feel your pain.

For the past few months, I just keep losing shrimps constantly...now it's painful and slow because it's like 1-2 a day. It just slowly happens.

I lost 200 CRS in the summer...that happened in 2 weeks. Probably the heat.
12 blue rilis because i'm ignorant thinking shrimps will handle co2 even though they can't
20 pumpkin neo in a new tank, finally with no co2 but still dying...then found it was ferts. ugh

so now, I stopped ferts and co2, and I still lost another 12, only to realize maybe it's my flouish root tabs. i took them out, dumped all the substrate with all the root tabs, cleaned out the tank....discarded the dwarf hairgrass which needs all of the above and replaced it with dwarf sag which will be fine all by it self.

There is only one more explanation, the Evolve 4 tank that acitydweller sold me is jinxed. LOL

Keep in mind that i have another similar setup with shrimps in as well, with root tabs and excel added and they are fine. It's the tank!

10 more to go and then I'm done with shrimps and with on with pea puffers.
You check your GH, KH, and PH?
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #1000
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote:
Kept it with the marmorkreb I got from the auction..all seemed okay..they didn't really interact.....
Crays are beautiful, powerful and ruthless. Sorry to hear the loss of the momma. It was one of the few things i wanted to bid on at BAS but refrained when i saw you raise your hand. Please remove it from the tank of babies (if you haven't already). The whole thing about killing the mother of these orphaned babies would make me bring this little guy back to the store as it would bother me to no end seeing him/her every day.

Quote:
I lost 200 CRS in the summer...that happened in 2 weeks. Probably the heat. 12 blue rilis because i'm ignorant thinking shrimps will handle co2 even though they can't 20 pumpkin neo in a new tank, finally with no co2 but still dying...then found it was ferts. ugh

A cardinal sin of shrimp keepng is to stir the substrate. It universally guarantees shrimp death within the next 12-24 hours. There's no need to comment on the CO2, EI dosing, and using several root tabs in a 10"x8" footprint of substrate of your shrimp tank.

You sir are more of a mad scientist than I. Maybe we should start you with wild neos to get your sea legs.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #1001
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Sorry to hear that...sucks..
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1002
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

GH 40
Kh 80
Ph 6.5 (IAL influence 7.8 out of the tap).
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Temp 76F no heater

This is QT with 1tsp aq salt per g. I do 100 wc on the QT
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #1003
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

My amano vanished! how?

Quote:
There is only one more explanation, the Evolve 4 tank that acitydweller sold me is jinxed.
Here's a very generous offer from me, I'll bravely take the the tank off you, along with the curse
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1004
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

you may have a dry shrimp in the vicinity. they escape when the water is out of wack or they run out of food.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1005
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
you may have a dry shrimp in the vicinity. they escape when the water is out of wack or they run out of food.
Oh goodness don't tell me that! ew!!!!

but the water levels did get a bit low yesterday.....

noooooo ;_;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.