20 gallon long low tech low light *insert clever name here*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
iadubber
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20 gallon long low tech low light *insert clever name here*

Well after starting up a 10g a few weeks ago I just don't like it. I've learned a lot here the last month about starting right and scaping. I'm going to take my time getting this one going and eventually transfer all my plants from my 10 to this.

Tank-standard 20 gallon long back black painted
Lighting-2 13 watt cfls in clamp lights on PVC rack.
Substrate-Rinsed mgopm with clay balls capped with black diamond blasting sand
Filter-One ac20, One ac30 eventually upgrade to an Eheim 2215.

I'm putting this tank on an old bar in our basement I removed the sink from and put a new top on.

Val
Dhg
Crypts

Stock: unknown

FTS: 2012/11/14

IMG_7033 by iadubber, on Flickr

Last edited by iadubber; 11-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: changes
iadubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
20 gallon long back with 2-23 watt cfls in clamp lights
Plants: Val, Dhg, Ferns, Crypts
Heater- unknown
That is only enough light for the ferns. I think with 3-25 watt or 2-32 watt cfls everything but the Dhg will survive

I don't use heaters anymore but have fish that are only a few dollars.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
iadubber
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
That is only enough light for the ferns. I think with 3-25 watt or 2-32 watt cfls everything but the Dhg will survive

I don't use heaters anymore but have fish that are only a few dollars.
Not sure I agree on that, the tank is only 12" deep, add substrate and we are 10". I did change my mind and might go to 3 13w 6500k cfls in clamp housings.

Here's where it's home will be in my basement. I have to finish out the counter this weekend. I'll probably hang a curtain or something over the hole where the fridge was. I'm going to keep the battery backup, power strips, and timers in there.

I picked up some pvc to make a light stand, clamp lights, blasting sand, and some other goodies.

The MGOPM is on it's second soak today. I'm going to go look for some rocks this weekend.

Now I'm thinking about getting an Eheim canister.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
iadubber
Algae Grower

Sorry, our house was full of faux wood paneling and faux wood cabinets. Slowing we are replacing all of it.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
iadubber
Algae Grower

Painted the counter black. I'm looking for some black fabric to wrap the whole cabinet in.

I still need to paint the PVC light rig black.

Found a few rocks at my local landscape company. Not as unique as I was wanting, but I think it'll work. They were boiled and passed the vinegar test.

Trying to convince the wife into a 2215 canister instead of dual AC20s. It's not going well, so I might just have to stick with the AC20s for now.

Here's the layout I want for the hardscape.

IMG_7026 by iadubber, on Flickr

I'm really surprised at how much dirt was lost in the rinsing process of a full bag of MGOPM. I hope I have enough to accomplish what I want for substrate shaping. I want to go higher in the back corners and slope them down. Maybe have Crypt Wendtii in the front right and DHG in the front left.

I decided against ferns and anubias in this tank. I just don't like them in my 10. I'd rather have all rooting plants for a cleaner look.

Last edited by iadubber; 11-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
iadubber
Algae Grower

I have a question on soil depth. It's hard for me to explain how I want the substrate to look. I want it higher in the back corners coming down to a slope in the middle.

Am I going to be ok having maybe a 1.50-2" dirt in the back corners coming down into maybe .5" in the middle? Then topped with sand. Will this cause any problems inside the deeper parts of the soil?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Soil depth want higher in the back corners coming down to a slope in the middle. Maybe a 1.50-2" dirt in the back corners coming down into maybe .5" in the middle? Then topped with sand. Will this cause any problems inside the deeper parts of the soil?
Should have no problems for the el natural way the substrate is about 3in high.

I found putting reptile coconut bark under my dirt kept it from getting compressed by the sand, which would have lead to anaerobic condition.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
I have a question on soil depth. It's hard for me to explain how I want the substrate to look. I want it higher in the back corners coming down to a slope in the middle.

Am I going to be ok having maybe a 1.50-2" dirt in the back corners coming down into maybe .5" in the middle? Then topped with sand. Will this cause any problems inside the deeper parts of the soil?
I think anything 3" in depth or less will be ok. Most of my tanks are raised to roughly 3" maybe more in some places and ive never had a problem

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
iadubber
Algae Grower

thanks! I'm trying to find something to support the back corners. On a budget, $13 eggcrate doesn't fit into it.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Why did you rinse the mgops ? Dry sifting to remove the wood chunks should have sufficed. You probably washed all the nutrients away... Also you will have a hard time sloping with Black Diamond the stuff is heavy and tends to settle.
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
iadubber
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikuan View Post
Why did you rinse the mgops ? Dry sifting to remove the wood chunks should have sufficed. You probably washed all the nutrients away...
I was trying to avoid brown water which I got in my 10 gallon when I set it up. Going on two months on that tank and I still am having tannin issues. I doubt most nutrients were washed away. I put the dirt in a tub filled with water, skimmed off all the floaters, filled up again skimmed off, and now it's drying.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
I was trying to avoid brown water which I got in my 10 gallon when I set it up. Going on two months on that tank and I still am having tannin issues. I doubt most nutrients were washed away. I put the dirt in a tub filled with water, skimmed off all the floaters, filled up again skimmed off, and now it's drying.
I hear ya. Mine stopped leaching tannins a week ago, either that or the Fluval 305 I hooked up to it is doing a fenomenal job...
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
iadubber
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikuan View Post
I hear ya. Mine stopped leaching tannins a week ago, either that or the Fluval 305 I hooked up to it is doing a fenomenal job...
Sweet! Just subscribed to yours!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Have you tried purigen. It soaks up the tannins.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
iadubber
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Have you tried purigen. It soaks up the tannins.
I'll check it out. I don't even have dirt in this tank yet. I am picking up clay tomorrow. I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt dry starting whatever I decide for a foreground carpeting type plant.