Pond plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
snakebite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pond plants

Hi,
My buddy and are starting a pond about 8'x 10' and about 2' deep. We've already dug out the hole, place liner in it and filled it up. Next week we're going to do some cementing and adding rocks around the tank. I would really like to include some floating plants or some type of ground cover like moss or possibly even hc(?) to make it look real natural. Any suggestions on pond plants?
snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Probably Lillys, they have a floating aspect to them, also they flower so they would look nice

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Iris, lobelias, lotus, helvola, carnivorous plants (pitcher, nepenthes, sundews, flytraps).

https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/home.php
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Taari
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

In my pond, we have a tall spikey grass-like plant that grows like a weed and looks nice, and we have a bogbean plant that's very nice and lays across the surface of the water with very cute pink or white flowers in small clusters. Both survive Eastern Washington winters (down to -20F and several feet of snow) My family decided long ago that any plants we put in the garden had to be annuals and be able to survive the winter because we aren't going to put the effort into rebuying or replanting everything.
And in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.
Taari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
snakebite
Algae Grower

I appreicate the assistance!

We're thinking about putting java moss on the rocks around the pond but looking at the Aquatic/Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), I think we'll go with that plant. Anyone have any experience or a how to for aquatic jenny?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Iris, lobelias, lotus, helvola, carnivorous plants (pitcher, nepenthes, sundews, flytraps).

https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/home.php
Will take the above plants into consideration. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
I appreicate the assistance!

We're thinking about putting java moss on the rocks around the pond but looking at the Aquatic/Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), I think we'll go with that plant. Anyone have any experience or a how to for aquatic jenny?
Creeping Jenny is great! It can grow like a weed. It's a creeping plant so put it in places where it can crawl over & hide mechanical things or whatever.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
TrogdorSlayer22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to TrogdorSlayer22

You could also plant a couple jungle vals or dwarf sag on the bottom of the pond, as long as there is is substrate. It will spread and form a huge mat of plants in a couple months. Then you could just uproot some and sell them here!

Lilies might be a good idea too. I was going to suggest water lettuce, but then I saw you were located in California.
TrogdorSlayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
Creeping Jenny is great! It can grow like a weed. It's a creeping plant so put it in places where it can crawl over & hide mechanical things or whatever.
Exactly what we're going for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrogdorSlayer22 View Post
You could also plant a couple jungle vals or dwarf sag on the bottom of the pond, as long as there is is substrate. It will spread and form a huge mat of plants in a couple months. Then you could just uproot some and sell them here!

Lilies might be a good idea too. I was going to suggest water lettuce, but then I saw you were located in California.
The only substrate that'll we'll have is an inch or so of gravel/rock just to cover up the black liner. I would love to find a plant where I can just stick it in the gravel and have it grow upwards.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could go for some kind of semi aquatic grass on the edges?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
You could go for some kind of semi aquatic grass on the edges?
What do you have in mind? I was thinking HC since our lfs has it but again that's very similar to creeping jenny.

Keep the ideas coming folks! If it's available in the area or online, I might just pick it up. This is our first pond so I would love to make it look real natural!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

You could do Mondo Grass. I've never grown it in the water but along the edges in moist soil would look good.

For in the water you can do dwarf cattail, or pink ribbon grass, yellow-eyed grass, I like the look of dwarf horsetail rush too. Dwarf Bamboo and Umbrella palms are really nice but I've never had experience with them.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote