Breeding Angels
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Breeding Angels

Ok so i just recently picked up a Cobalt Blue angel fish ( I tried to get a pick but my camera is continuously being dumb and not working, so heres the next best thing) Click the URL he does look a lot like this, ill try and try to get a picture of him.

Ok so back to breeding, would the angels babys take traits of the parents or would just be like, you can be Koi, you can be Black, and you can be silver. I want to get a female for my angel that is black, so just wondering if those babys would have any traits from their parents? because if so i think their babys would look Very Very cool.

If the picture didnt work heres the link http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...761230ed_b.jpg

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
JoeGREEEN
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very Pretty blue angel

How do you know its a male?

As for traits from my experience the baby mainly get traits from both parents. Some traits are more dominant are some are recesive. If one of the parents is veiled then many baby will be veiled having both parents veiled is not recommended cause super veils are tougher to raise.

there is a book on breeding Angelfish, that comes to mind that breaks down the dominant and recessive traits. ( i will try and find the title/author for you if your interested)

either way I think mating a black angel with your blue, would bring some beautiful babies.

I have a pinoy blue and a pariba pearlscale that I want to mate with a black male angel. But he only has eyes for sunny, my orange koi female.

cheers

Joe

Last edited by JoeGREEEN; 10-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: typ0
JoeGREEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

+1 breeding for traits isnt as easy as it sounds and often takes several generations to get where you want. Using scientific method to determine dominant and recessive genes makes it a bit easier to get where you want to be however it is necessary to understand all the genes involved with both parents. Also as Joe has said its difficult to sex angelfish unless they have already proven themselves in breeding. With this being said blacks are hard to get a good cross imo as they tend to produce a hodgepodge of offspring that are often quite ugly once again imo. On the plus side that cobalt would look lovely crossed with one of my platinum blue pearlscales
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGREEEN View Post
Very Pretty blue angel

How do you know its a male?

As for traits from my experience the baby mainly get traits from both parents. Some traits are more dominant are some are recesive. If one of the parents is veiled then many baby will be veiled having both parents veiled is not recommended cause super veils are tougher to raise.

there is a book on breeding Angelfish, that comes to mind that breaks down the dominant and recessive traits. ( i will try and find the title/author for you if your interested)

either way I think mating a black angel with your blue, would bring some beautiful babies.

I have a pinoy blue and a pariba pearlscale that I want to mate with a black male angel. But he only has eyes for sunny, my orange koi female.

cheers

Joe
Im positive its a male, ive had several people sex it and ive done extensive reaserch on sexing angels, The Cobalt i recieved is less colorful then the picture but i just got it so it is still a good deal skiddish and hasnt really brought out its true colors. Im still trying to get my camera to work and once i do ill have a picture up. I also thought that mating with a black would bring some very cool looking and possibly many varieties.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merth View Post
+1 breeding for traits isnt as easy as it sounds and often takes several generations to get where you want. Using scientific method to determine dominant and recessive genes makes it a bit easier to get where you want to be however it is necessary to understand all the genes involved with both parents. Also as Joe has said its difficult to sex angelfish unless they have already proven themselves in breeding. With this being said blacks are hard to get a good cross imo as they tend to produce a hodgepodge of offspring that are often quite ugly once again imo. On the plus side that cobalt would look lovely crossed with one of my platinum blue pearlscales
Ive had several people try and sex it and all of them said positively a male because of the behavior it showed and body features (not quite sure what behavior they saw but the guy at my LFS breeds them). I would love to see a picture of your blue pearls also. im thinking maybey a pure white and or a silver, but im thinking in both of those cases the white and silver will be a more dominant trait then the blue. hmmm, ill keep thinking on the variety to try with this guy

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Crob5965
Planted Member

Default My Lg Angel

This is my lg Angel I believe it is a Male but would love confirmation on it as id like to find it a partner.

any help would be appreciated I have several other Angels that have different features that would lead me to believe I have both Male and Females but really dont understand how to tell them apart

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8435.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	56579  

Name:	IMG_8430.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	56580  

Name:	IMG_8436.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	56581  

Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Mixing black and blue will result in some black, some mostly black, some evenly black and blue, some mostly blue, and some blue.

@Crob5965: it's really hard to find the sex of an angelfish. The best way to tell is to buy a few more and put them in there with it.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, im still thinking black and hoping that the fry come out cool looking and have some black blues, those would be very very cool, and probably would sell for a lot

-Joe (Looper 2012)

Tags
angels, breeding