Yarg, what is suddenly up with this Anubias?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
mfskarphedin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Yarg, what is suddenly up with this Anubias?

This Anubias var. nana is several years old and now lives in a 10 gal with a UGF. It was just an "extra" that I threw in for lack of space, and then suddenly the tank looked beautiful, so I nurtured it.

Inhabitant: one goldfish who is fed liberally. Water changed enough to keep nitrates down to the fish's comfort level. Buffered to the low 8s, because my tap water varies wildly, and while it's easy to buffer up to its highest level, it's difficult and/or expensive to soften it and lower the pH. Fertilizer is Seachem Flourish 2-3x/week cut about 2:1 with API Leaf Zone, because as you can see from the pinholes, I had a potassium deficiency going on. Light is a standard 18W plant light.

The old leaves have always been a bit light in color, but that's left over from the last tank it was in, where the problem was nitrogen deficiency. In this tank, the problem was good color and growth with pinholes, but that's kinda minor, and I dealt with it.

Forward some months to my last water change. Everything seems normal, except I've been getting some withered/transparent leaf edges on new growth since this summer. Suspecting a mystery deficiency, I'd stopped Seachem Excel to slow growth, and it got mostly better. Then something I read a couple weeks ago led me to believe it might be caused by an excess of some nutrient in the cichlid buffer, so I buffered my replacement water slightly less than I usually do.

Now you can see the photo:

This has been going on since the water change a little over a week ago. The old, kinda yellow leaves are now very yellow, and all the middle leaves are getting yellow in the center between the veins. The A. var. coffeefolia that's been struggling to even stay alive for the last 6 years put out a healthy, new leaf for the first time in months. WTF?

The same sources on deficiencies points to a magnesium deficiency. I know there's a little less than normal with a little less buffer, but I still did heavily buffer the water, and the Flourish has magnesium, as well. Is there anything else that could be causing this to happen, especially in so short a timespan? This plant took years to grow, and it looks like it's only going to take a few weeks to die! I know I have to replace it, and I do have a replacement, but it's just going to happen to the new one, too, if I don't figure this out.

Thanks for any help,

Kristen
36 gal hex with Java Fern and common Goldfish
46 gal Bowfront with asst. plants and tropicals
55 gal with three very large fancy Goldfish

Coming soon: 65 gal Dutch planted with Rainbows
RIP 125 gal w/very large common GF and BF Koi
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Give it some shade? I don't know whats up, but my anubias grow faster in the shade of swords and vals. I have a cutting from my mother plant in medium light with extra dissolved CO2 and ferts and it looks sad: it dropped all of the old leaves for little pale ones, although much denser.

Maybe try some potash or some potassium nitrate. Flourish comp (with the micros) bugs most of my plants, but my water is mineralized via the ground and an aquifer so it comes preloaded with all the goodies(and the nasties.)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

you said "standard 18W plant light" is that T12, T8, or a T5? How long are your lights on?

if you changed what you do in water changes and the plant decay sped up, i would go back to what i was doing before.

how long have you been dosing excel? i noticed the leaves on my anubis started to yellow when i was regularly dosing excel. i stopped dosing but for a different reason, and the leaves have stopped yellowing. I know it took you plant a long time to get where it is now, but personally i would trim off all of the yellow leaves, as far as i understand there is no way to get them to come back looking like they used to.

on another note i'm glad you posted this, because i have K deficency in some other plants and i had leaf zone that bought and then forgot all about it. so problem solved :-)

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
mfskarphedin
Algae Grower

It's just whatever bulb came with the 10 gallon AGA hood. I do tend to leave the lights on for up to 12 - 14 hrs sometimes, but I have another cutting in another tank getting similar light, and it's as healthy as can be in every way. Except no UGF, and the tank is heavily planted.

I did add a little more buffer in case it was wanting magnesium. I'll see if that stops the progress. I stopped the Excel this summer, and when the growth slowed, that's when it improved for a while. Yeah, it's just been the last week and a half that it's been going down the toilet. There seems something really whacked going on in this tank - I can't get Java Fern to grow, either! But i have a 35 gal hex packed with the stuff top to bottom...

Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
mfskarphedin
Algae Grower

"Shade..." I have one healthy anubias in this tank, and it's under the shade of some floating baby swords. Yeah, maybe it's a combo of too much light and unbalanced nutrients. I'll put a school ruler under the bulb to cut some light and see what happens. Hell, the solitary goldfish in there is blind, so he won't care, anyway, hah.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

all of my anubis is in full light. the only shade it gets is from the other leaves on the plant.

like i said earlier i would trim off the older yellow leaves and allow the new growth to come in. the leafs you have there are used to the light from the other tanks. i bet new growth will be healthy.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anubias, deficieny, fertilizer, nutrient, yellow