8G Nano - Cluttered - Need advice on culling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Post 8G Nano - Cluttered - Need advice on culling

Hi PT people! I just got into this planted tank hobby and...it's so much fun that I ended up going a little overboard and have cluttered up my nano. As the plants grow I see that some of the placement looks a bit unnatural (specifically the anubias) and I've decided that I'd really rather have a cleaner, "zen" feel.

The tank is 22 days old in the following shots.

Q1: ID? The "betta bulb" to the right has grown quite tall. I'm sure it's doing a great job filtering the water, but the coloration difference is too great and I feel it murks up the midground. I'm thinking of replacing the onion/val w/e with a java fern to match the windelov in the center. Y/N?

The microsword has started to spread and the little path will not be sustainable...this much I've learned. That being said, I'm glad it's chosen to propagate despite the bit of die-off it is experiencing.

Q2: The anubias I had originally intended to be a mid-ground piece on the right side is losing its scale. The crypt is growing more than I thought it would, and with the background filling in there's seemingly no space for a plant with this leaf type/size. Also, I think this side of the tank should stay light green. Remove the anubias? Replace it with some transition plant? Just let the crypt grow into the wisteria?

Q3: Also, I have just majorly cut back the wisteria and replanted the tops rather densely on the left hand side. They do not receive much light due to the cover - will they grow? Or should wisteria be planted more sparsely?

Q4: I have just received an order of fissidens fontanus. I tied it to some flat stones and placed it in the back right corner to fill in the cave. Some pieces were also shoved in the crevice surrounding the windelov and the base of the driftwood. Good idea? Too cluttered? Have an opinion on where it should be (if at all)? I tried tucking some in around the top of the log by the filter but did not like the way it
looked.

And just a few more pics:

Thanks to all who contribute - I'm inspired by all the beautiful tanks I've seen around this forum and greatly value the insight you can offer.

Thanks again,
Rob

Last edited by RobMc; 11-06-2012 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Fixed up photo coloration on image 1
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collectoritis, cryptocoryne wendtii, fluval flora, micro sword, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.